Auto parts retail stores rant. :puker:

-

seabee

Reaction score
This is a rant: Today I needed to buy or rent a small hydraulic press. I called the list of Auto Parts stores that are nearby and was once again disappointed with lack of knowledge and service. When did these chains start recruiting fast food rejects? I am sure there are good stores out there in some remote locations but I am speaking generally of my experience with them. If you happen to work at one of these stores I hope not to offend you. But if you work at one of these stores in Southern San Diego area and fit the description of who I am talking about then, yeah, you should be offended and find new employment :) :puker:

Autozone: Their employee setup is to have one "knowledgeable" staffer somewhere in the store and fill the rest with useless slackers who know absolutely nothing except when their lunch breaks and paychecks are due. Usually the one "knowledgeable" staffer is being swamped with questions and phone calls from staff and customers and looks like they are about to have a stroke. Once I had to go through two employees before I found one that understood English. (This is to be expected since I live in Southern San Diego but still annoys me when I get a smartass smirk like I'm the idiot who can't communicate.) Their prices are their only saving grace sometimes but rarely do they have anything but the most common of parts. Their special order system sucks. Website is by far the best though.

NAPA: Is hit or miss. They usually have a few really experienced guys or gals that know their stuff but are stressed out and moments from going postal. They are understaffed and overworked from the looks of it. Usually have the parts in stock at decent prices except for tools which are very expensive.

CarQuest: No complaints here with employees. They have seasoned employees who know exactly what you want. There is usually enough employees so you only wait a few minutes to get help. They actually smile and don't seem to be suicidal. Prices are pretty high though compared to other chains. Special orders usually only take a few hours.

Orielly/Kragen: There are more employees than customers, but usually it takes three of them to find what you want. Large selection of oddball stuff that comes in handy and pretty decent stock. They could fire half the staff and replace with one or two more decent ones though.

I guess this is to be expected from chain super-stores that have to compete in a declining market due to the internet. I remember going to these stores when I was in high school and there would be some ol' timer with a bunch of big thick catalogs and manuals who seemed like the mecca of automotive part information. He could find the part you are talking about and probably give you a tip or two on your project. Now it's a sea of pimple faced idiots who get paid to ask someone else or type 4 basic key commands into a database. /end rant

Then I guess we're pretty lucky as far as that goes over here in Holland. Guys in autopart stores generally have some common knowledge of all the going stuff and can sometimes even help you out by interchanging between models.

Downside is the prices of the autoparts here....

When I worked in a Mopar parts room, I learned to HATE Autozone.
I can't tell you how many times people would walk in with a broken dipstick from an Intrepid and get pissed because Autozone told them it was a recall part. "You mean I have to pay for this? Autozone said it would be free!"
They would call and ask me to look something up then want the part # because they couldn't find it. I got to the point that I would give them the same part # 4797131. An evaporator for a old style Mini van. I wonder how many of those turds they ordered? :twisted:
I loved they're read codes for free thing too. One of the last things I had to deal with was, a guy went to A/Z got a code read. A/Z told him it was a EGR valve. A/Z sold him a EGR valve. He gets it on and has the same problem. He comes to me wanting help. I hooked up a DRBIII just to see what the real problem was. Low voltage at AIS. I sold him a AIS motor and a T/B gasket, showed him where and how to replace, told him how to clean the T/B and to take the useless EGR back.
Advance is hit or miss around here. the O'Reilly here is pretty good. The guys there are mostly from the old KOI that moved. there is only 2 NAPA's that I know of around here. I got a hell of a good deal on some gear wrench X-beams there. $19 a set. CarQuest is just setting up shop around here. Don't have a lot of experience with them.
On the whole, I don't have a lot of use for the big chains. They're great for oil and wax past that, I avoid them like the plague. It's worth a couple of bucks extra to get decent service and the right part the first time.

Here in B.C we have Lordco,which is strictly in B.C. The manager is a good friend of mine,plus was lead hand in a wreckers for 16 years.This guy can make anything fit anything. His nickname is Macgiver! Sorry that this doesnt help you,but good partsmen are worth more than good mechanics IMHO!!

As far as looking for a hydraulic press,I guess mail order might be you best option in a remote area.Harbour frieght,JC witney etc.

That was great! I have alot of experiance behind a parts counter and agree with you. The last parts store I worked for seemed to have a bad habit of running off the more experianced people in favor for the cheaper (and less experianced) employees, when they started on me I threw in the towel... Now I'm a service manager. If all goes well in a couple years I want to open my parts store ( a Super Shops franchise). Then I won't have to deal with an idiot behind the counter... I won't hire them. lol

We used to have a great parts man at our NAPA store. His name is Rex but unfortunately he retired. You could walk in and tell him what you wanted and most of the time he would just walk back and pick it up off the shelf and hardly ever look at a book. I asked one kid who had been working there for about a year for a stick of plastiguage. He just looked at me like I was from mars. He didn't have a clue. Now the all the help is just plain STUPID!!!!

-
Back