Auto vs. Manual (Debate)

-

LJS30

Reaction score
I have been in a long debate with both my fiance and a friend of mine in regards to the usage of automatics in racing. I say with a shift kit and the right driver they are good. However both my fiance and friend claim auto's serve no purpose in racing whatsoever. Are they true? Am I incorrect on this debate? :angel9:

Most racing these days is bracket racing requiring consist times. This being said, the automatic will be more consistent than shifting a 4spd. For a street car I prefer a 4spd. JMO, Mike

There is a very high number of automatic cars used in competitive racing. They are good, and consistant. On the street a 4speed has more 'cool' factor, and you'll have a little different gear ratios vs an auto. My auto with a TF-2 kit at a 3500stall is pretty fun. It outruns all the import guys at school that swear by their 5speeds lol

GoodysGotaCuda said:
There is a very high number of automatic cars used in competitive racing. They are good, and consistant. On the street a 4speed has more 'cool' factor, and you'll have a little different gear ratios vs an auto. My auto with a TF-2 kit at a 3500stall is pretty fun. It outruns all the import guys at school that swear by their 5speeds lol

Nice :thumbup:

Auto is the way to go for racing. Far more consistant. Put in the right torque converter for your motor & rear to utuilize your power. I race with a manual because it's fun but at times frustrating. Win many heads up but when it comes to stating your times before the race it's more difficult.

Automatic all the way in drag racing, road racing you need a clutch though. I have a 5 speed and its great out here in the country but I hate driving it in the city. Cool factor is a plus but I got the truck because it had granny gear first gear which makes towing and working out in the field easy.

I do however know a group in Virginia that only race 4 speeds, pretty fun watching them ride the rear bumper off the starting line and running 10s and 9s.

-
Back