automatic 727 center console shifters

-

hemibee

Reaction score
Is there a better shifter off the self for replacing the factory floor shifter unit on my 71 dart? Factory one seems just ok. Want it to direct fit the floor console. New to the retrofit game on the Darts.

1970 Challenger/Barracuda Shifters fit nicely inside a stock A-Body console with no mods to the console. In fact the entire assembly, linkage and all drops right into an A-Body, and since they're a Slapstik shifter, you gain the nice ratchet function. Not to mention they look stock (to people who aren't A-Body nuts)

71+ Challenger/Barracuda shifters (T-Handle style) require you to swap the little plastic "Slider" in the top plate or cut/file your old slider, since the T-Handles use a square shaft and the round knob style shifters have a round shaft.

Back when my '74 had a 727, I had this '70 Only Challenger Shifter in it.

Beyond swapping in a shifter from another mopar, I'm not aware of any aftermarket shifters that fit into the stock console with no mods.

That is what I thought about the slap stick shifter, just never asked anyone about them before. Looking at one for sale, and said, hey that looks like the same bolt in pattern. After market opens up other benefits and problems. So that would be interesting if you guys have put one in the stock consoles and it worked well....

-
Back