automatic transmission runout.

-

hangn0ut

Reaction score
Opinions on checking for runout when using an auto. Did you find that a lot of the time dialing them in was needed. Or was it a lot of work just to find out that its fine. Thanks

I have never had a problem in the past 33 yrs of doing transmission's (until recently) but to be perfectly honest I never checked them either. What I generally go by is when I disassemble it if I see the converter snout and/or the front pump bushing has a lot of wear it's an indicator that there could be an alignment problem. Just recently I pulled my engine out that only has about 5500 miles on it and noticed a bunch of metallic bronze dust in the bottom of the bellhousing and the converter snout was worn pretty bad so I checked the alignment and found it was off .016"... Incidentally I measured it with 2 transmission cases, a 727 and a 904, and both checked the exact same .016" off

fishy, were the dowels beat up. I've yet to come across one out of alignment in over 15yrs of doing these.

fishy, were the dowels beat up. I've yet to come across one out of alignment in over 15yrs of doing these.

One looks perfect, the other has some light pitting but I don't believe it's anything that could cause the issue. I also noticed that the engine required a .010" shorter timing chain (even that is a little loose) so I think sometime in it's 42 yrs on this earth someone line bored the block

..................I've checked the 1s for higher HP but honestly none have been out any amount to speak of.................kim.........

runout. what's that? lol

-
Back