Autometer Speedometer Question

-

cwirth7

Reaction score
So the stock speedo is out in my 73 Swinger. I'd like to get an autometer speedo and mount to column. The question I have is will the stock cable work with this or do I need any additional parts? Anyone who can point me in the right direction is appreciated.

Thanks
cwirth7

/// I got my info. Thanks ///

I have to guess. We really need to know , model number. You will need a sender to hook to cable, if it is an electronic unit. Often it is possible to read manual online prior to purchase.

In any case the stock cable is not long enough for what you have in mind.

I got sick of installing new speedometers in my 73 Dart and finally went with an Autometer speedometer with electric sending unit. Happy as happy can be now. I went to electric on all my gauges.

Agree with the all electric gauge. Easy to install and calibrate.

The cable connects to a Hall sender unit that makes pulses on wires, that feed the speedometer unit. The original cable should work.

"So the stock speedo is out in my 73 Swinger. I'd like to get an autometer speedo and mount to column. The question I have is will the stock cable work with this or do I need any additional parts? Anyone who can point me in the right direction is appreciated.

Thanks
cwirth7"

Since I responded to this question and unless all Autometer speedo's are electronic then the answer to the question he asked was valid, right?

Or did I miss something? :D

You could be correct, but when I googled autometer speedo, I only found electronic units. I was thinking a cable on a column would be silly, but that is my opinion. Wires would stick out less. The electronic, lets them adapt for universal applications. Peace brother.

You could be correct, but when I googled autometer speedo, I only found electronic units. I was thinking a cable on a column would be silly, but that is my opinion. Wires would stick out less. The electronic, lets them adapt for universal applications. Peace brother.

I'm probably not right, I just assumed from the question that he was asking, if the original cable could be used for a column mounted speedometer. :dontknow:

Peace back. :)

They have GPS speedometers now also, that need no cable to the trans at all.
When I change, I'm going this route with the white face guage.
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/pro...u=3933353733&gclid=COCE5YXk6r8CFedzMgodxBUAOA

I wanted to do that, but my experience with my GPS I use when hunting and also the speedometer app on my phone had me worried about accuracy and satellite accessibility. That's why I went with electric gauges. I'm sure they work well, but ...

I wanted to do that, but my experience with my GPS I use when hunting and also the speedometer app on my phone had me worried about accuracy and satellite accessibility. That's why I went with electric gauges. I'm sure they work well, but ...

Don't I know?
I used a mounted GPS for navigation on my dirtbike, but it seemed reliable enough to give random samples of speed differences.
It's not like I need it for clocking speeders and testifying in court or anything.
Just need to know if I'm doing 70 in a 45 :) so I think they would be reliable enough for most.

The optional "direction" indicator in some would be great for when you were out in the middle of the ocean and couldn't see land, but I have not needed that in my car so far.

-
Back