Avoided towing disaster.

-
75EAE9A3-79FA-484C-9B23-151ED201978A.gif

Ok so here is what I did. I got a pair of Vulcan ratchet straps that have the spring locks on the hooks. I have 2 sets of d rings in the trailer. One is almost directly under the front of the k member, the other about 3 feet forward of that. I looped the strap around the k member and down to the 1st set of rings, then ran the strap over the top of the k member to the other set of rings not cris crossed. This pulls the frame downward when I tighten the ratchets. We'll give this a try this weekend and see how it goes.
FWIW...I like and use the "axle strap" short jumpers that have the abrasion sleeve to go around either the axle or the k-member. Then hook that to your ratchet straps.

For anyone that had a broken strap, please specify how it broke. Was it rubbed through? Was it just a clean tear through the strap in the middle or where it goes through the hook?

Just curious. Been wondering if I should replace my straps but I am afraid new stuff won’t be as good. Been seeing a huge reduction in quality with ATV sized straps I use for securing engines in the bed of my truck.

Ok so here is what I did. I got a pair of Vulcan ratchet straps that have the spring locks on the hooks. I have 2 sets of d rings in the trailer. One is almost directly under the front of the k member, the other about 3 feet forward of that. I looped the strap around the k member and down to the 1st set of rings, then ran the strap over the top of the k member to the other set of rings not cris crossed. This pulls the frame downward when I tighten the ratchets. We'll give this a try this weekend and see how it goes.
Are you going to the first TMCCC race Sunday..?

I straight strap my vehicle. I put one of those reinforced loop straps around the rear axle and my front straps have a flat bar type of hook on it. The best way to describe this hook is hold your hand palm up and curl your finger tips. I then hook that end of the strap to the K-frame by the oil pan.

I have always used axle straps. No joke,made abrasion strap covers out of tube socks.

I strap mine straight, front and rear. I have brackets welded to the shock plates in the rear and use axle straps or hook to the k member in the front. I've never had any issues.

A good source to check out is Lodi Metals in Ohio. Great choices/options for tie-downs, straps, etc, etc.

FWIW...I like and use the "axle strap" short jumpers that have the abrasion sleeve to go around either the axle or the k-member. Then hook that to your ratchet straps.
That's what I was using, but the new ratchet straps came with sleeves on them so I'm trying them by themselves.

I always use chains in the rear w/hooks over the axle, so they must be straight, or they could possibly slide. I cross the front also with chains, but I always add a strap or two for insurance. Getting into a frontal accident your car could pass over your towing vehicle or worse if you only had straps in the rear. Always chains in the rear, front is your option.

I use chains and snap binders in the front and ratchet straps in the rear , for years I just ran the chains from the k frame . Last year I made brackets that bolt to the rear of the bumper bracket to tie down from mainly because I just added a winch to my trailer and its easier to hook to the brackets than the k frame.

When I could find them, I'd hit up the Army-Navy surplus stores and look for US Air Force cargo ratchet strap binders, usually at a good price too! They were rated 10K working and something like 25K+ breaking. NEVER would I use any Ebay straps for serious securing. Even though many claim they're DOT, are they worth the risk?!

I bet those tire baskets work good on normal sized tires. Not so hot on 14x32 slicks, or cars with bare minimum tire/fender clearance. Like mine.

-
Back