avoiding hot tank fees

-
He's not asking them for anything for free, he just doesn't see the need for paying someone to do the work if he can do it himself.

Don't skimp on the tank tho, but the other stuff that's minor work shouldn't be an issue in them letting you do it yourself. If they nickel and dime you, find another shop that is actually interested in the industry, instead of just trying to keep their doors open.

Does the block even need to be bored? Can you get away with just honing the bores with a dingle ball hone and slapping the motor back together with new rings and bearings? I've done that when I was a kid to buy some more mileage out of an engine.

He's in college to learn, don't knock a guy for that.

We've all learned what you lose when you deal with a shop that will cut corners like that. Share your knowledge or let him learn for himself, but no need to knock him.

In college? Mechanically inclined?

Ask that machine shop for a part time bartering arrangement. You work, they show you how to hot tank your block some evening. If you're old enough, supply beers. You'll learn more sweeping the floor in a machine shop than you pay to learn at a university.

Bam. Friends for life, and probably access to the shop too.

hey i was wondering if there's any way i can avoid hot tank fees before getting my block bored. my blocks clean its just got a little grease build up on it that im power washing off.

Option >

You could buy a can of Engine Shampoo {Spray Foam}, a good scrub-brush and
'Tide' powder detergent. And scrub the Block with hottest water possible.

Not a 'Fan Favorite' of this procedure, but it will do an acceptable job to allow
the Block through the doors of a Machine Shop.

-
Back