AVS Rebuilder

-

Vitamin c

Vitamin c
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am asking for recomendations on someone to go through and rebuild an 1970 4 speed AVS to factory specs. Ive seen a couple names on here of some rebuilders, but looking for some recomendations.

Your punctuation and spelling are good enough, so do it yourself! It's not difficult.

I hear ya, and ive done it before, but im not capable of checking for shaft wear etc... Also im in need of some missing linkage parts, mainly the idle solenoid.

the thing about redoing any carb is taking your time,noting the parts ,[take pics] buy a good name brand kit .right tools ,clean and inspection ,reassy and adjust .I charge $100.00 plus parts ,thats cheap.I don't live to far from you in MI. , if you get stuck .I say go for it ,save yourself the money.After 45 years of rebuilding carbs you couldn't screw it up as bad as some of the basket cases I have seen.

If a kit is easily to come by i have no problem with doing it myself. I guess im just looking to find someone with the ability to get it back as close to factory as possible. I dont know what ill find when i pull the top off as far as metering rods,(if an AVS even has them!) jets, floats etc. I also would like to find the idle solenoid if anyone has one laying around.

try [walker products-carburetor components] for the kit and idle solenoid they stock a lot of parts,the other source is carbjunkys both have sites

4933 S

Carb looks pretty good overall. I have not pulled it apart to look inside. Choke, choke pull off, and misc. parts seem to be there. Main part that is missing is the idle solenoid.

Attachments

• DSCN0471.JPG
    168.8 KB · Views: 170
  • DSCN0472.JPG
    165 KB · Views: 182
  • DSCN0473.JPG
    164.4 KB · Views: 172
  • DSCN0474.JPG
    158.2 KB · Views: 169
The bottom line is how much do you want to spend.A kit goes for 35-50$,chemicals and a soaking is a nother expense and soda blasting.If you want it plated in cadium or electro plated is another item.You can have a few hundred in bills before you start,so if its not a numbers car,it,s 1 bill,a numbers car is another bill,plus labour,mrmopartech

Not a numbers car, but I don't want to fight with it once I get the engine together. Id rather have it correct and right the first time. As far as plating goes, I don't know if I need that. If everyone agrees that I can buy a kit and some carb soaking solvent, and make it run right, ill give it a shot. Looks like the hardest part will be finding the missing solenoid.

I had a 70 auto 340 Duster with an AVS, and it didn't have a solenoid. I wasn't the original owner, second owner, so it could have been taken off before I got IT, if there was one.
It ran fine without one, and I wouldn't want one any way.

I have 6319 s looks to be complete has the bracket and solenoid , off a 1973 , 340 auto if l remember right. think all solenoid brackets are the same ,but after 40 years ,wouldn't trust the solenoid

My 6319 is a TQ ,you wanted a AVS , I don;t think they had a soleniod on them .As Mrmopartech says, it can get pretty costly,not to mention the time it takes .But there is no better way to learn than to do it yourself. The problem is putting a 40 plus year old carburetor on a rebuilt motor with 2013 parts and technology

Well i just got off the phone with carbjunkys and wasnt real impressed. I asked if they would have a solenoid for a 70 avs and the answer was "no". The second comment was "you dont need it" and the third was " it was only used on air conditioning cars to raise the idle". So now the question is what 70 avs carbs had it and why. The carb i have clearly had the solenoid mounted on it.

Well i just got off the phone with carbjunkys and wasnt real impressed. I asked if they would have a solenoid for a 70 avs and the answer was "no". The second comment was "you dont need it" and the third was " it was only used on air conditioning cars to raise the idle". So now the question is what 70 avs carbs had it and why. The carb i have clearly had the solenoid mounted on it.

Some applications over the years were indeed used with a/c to bump the idle under the extra load. Many though, and for your car, it was most likely used as a anti dieseling device. The solenoid set the idle and when the key is turned off, it allows the throttle blades to close and prevents run on.

I believe YearOne had them available at one time? Probably a little pricey though if there still available.

Some applications over the years were indeed used with a/c to bump the idle under the extra load. Many though, and for your car, it was most likely used as a anti dieseling device. The solenoid set the idle and when the key is turned off, it allows the throttle blades to close and prevents run on.

I believe YearOne had them available at one time? Probably a little pricey though if there still available.
I agree 100% with you! just like the solenoid on the 6 BBL's. They were used for anti dieseling. Now where can i find one??? ill look at year one, but that sounds like a long shot

Exactly if your AC does not work , do not have to worry about selonoid kicker , other than that simple to put a kit in .

X2...other than A/C cars it was used as anti dieseling device, and is found on many original 68 to 70 cars with AVS.

-
Back