Awesome '65 Valiant/Barracuda hardtop wagon

-
that barracuda wagon is a work of art....the roofline and everything on my car is valiant with the exception of the topside chrome and the dart rear side glass....

The coolest thing about this car, for me, is that it's a one-of-none built out of a one-of-almost-none. A '64 Canadian Valiant wagon ('64 Dart tail treatment, US '64 Valiant dashboard, "VALIANT" nose badge) was the basis.

Sharp eye! It actually looks like a Canadian '64 Valiant wagon was the basis. Makes sense with the Ontario plates too..
There's something strange going on with that front valance. Looks like the outer parts of the opening are filled in and only the radiator area open.

I wasn't aware that the Canadian 64's used the US Valiant dash.
In '65 the Canadians had both Dart and Valiant based Valiants but used the Dart dash in all of them.
I have a Canadian 65 Valiant 100 4-door myself. Very similar to the US version but it has the US '65 Dart dash and the "VALIANT" nose badge among other details.

Attachments

• dash web1.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 404
There's something strange going on with that front valance. Looks like the outer parts of the opening are filled in and only the radiator area open.

Looks like standard-issue '64-'65 Barracuda front valence to me, see here The left and right extremities were blanked off on those because the park/turn lights were up in the grill rather than down there at the left and right edges of the valence cutout as in the '64-'65 Valiant. It's tough for me to level any criticism at this custom-built wagon because it's so skillfully done, but I might've been tempted to substitute a '63 Valiant valence (pics here and here) with the smaller, more faired-in central opening, and with the '63 park/turn lamp holes deleted or perhaps repurposed for fog lamps.

I wasn't aware that the Canadian 64's used the US Valiant dash.

Yep.

In '65 the Canadians had both Dart and Valiant based Valiants but used the Dart dash in all of them. I have a Canadian 65 Valiant 100 4-door myself. Very similar to the US version but it has the US '65 Dart dash and the "VALIANT" nose badge among other details.

I had a '65 Canadian Valiant Custom 200 -- this one, in fact. The Canadian situation in '65 was pretty complicated. Not just Valiant-shaped Valiants and Dart-shaped Valiants, but also US-sourced Valiants on account of some kind of a strike.

The owner of the car has nothing to do with it. The pictures were taken at a car show along with hundreds of others. It's the photographer that has them on flickr that doesn't want them to be seen elsewhere.
I could understand that if they were used in some sort of promotion or something, but we only used them to discuss the cool car.
I guess he has the rights to do so and I'm not going to use more energy on this matter. I reposted the links in the first post so they can be seen by clicking them.

Hope the owner of the car finds his way here, would like to see some build pics and have more info on the car.

I just got registered on this site today. I'm not real sure on how to proceed. There seems to be alot of confusion over how we did the build. Also, I had no idea that there were so many pics of my car on the net, none of which I posted.

Googled Valiant wagons...
[ame="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&gs_nf=1&cp=26&gs_id=2w&xhr=t&q=1965+valiant+station+wagon&safe=off&rlz=1R2GGLL_enUS388&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1603&bih=700&wrapid=tljp1329955759054050&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=uINFT_LvOeewsAL1sYzDDw"]1965 valiant station wagon - Google Search[/ame]

1 pic below.. I cheated!

Also saw this.. a great What If page for the later valiants.. cool!

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/blog/what-if-third-generation-valiant/

Attachments

• 6406358775_fbdc7a2260_z.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 571
Sportwagon, welcome to this site, you have an awesome wagon, enjoy the site an share some of your wisdom, Joe

I just got registered on this site today. I'm not real sure on how to proceed. There seems to be alot of confusion over how we did the build. Also, I had no idea that there were so many pics of my car on the net, none of which I posted.

Welcome and great wagon. Im sure you are proud of it.

Sportwagon, welcome to this site, you have an awesome wagon, enjoy the site an share some of your wisdom, Joe
Hi red67gts and all of you who have welcomed me to the site. I'm still having a bit of trouble navigating the site, but I'm sure I'll get better.
Here is the lowdown on the build. I wanted to build a car that Chrysler should have built ( in my opinion). I used as many original parts as possible to make it look like it came out of the factory that way.
We started with a '64 Canadian Valiant Wagon. This gave us the same dash as the '64 Barracuda (CDN & US). Hood, and front fenders from '65 Barracuda. Doors from '65 Barracuda, B-pillar to dog leg fron '66 CDN Valiant V200 (US Dart). I used the '64 taillights because I had NOS bezzels and lenses. The body was done full rotisserie, base / clear 2002 Prowler Orange. Questions about the front Valance - standard '64/65 Barracuda.
The interior is complete '64 Barracuda.
The wagon is motivated by a high performance slant six (40 over, head planed 100 thousandths), Clifford shorty headers y'd to 2 1/2 " stainless pipe, muffler and HP resonator. Holley 500 cfm 2bbl on factory 2bbl intake. Tranny in A833 to an A-body 8 3/4 rear with 3.23 open rear end.
Brakes are period Kelsey-Hayse discs up front. Rears are 10" drums.
It took two shops and 7 years to complete. I can't give enough praise to my body man.

-
Back