Axle flip help ...please

-

sabre67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Lookin for a little help here,I want to put a A-body 8 3/4 housing under my D-150 short -bed truck. My question is will my pinion angle be to much with axle mounted on top of springs. Can I shim spring perches if needed? Thanks for all your help.......sabre67

I don't know the exact measurement between the truck rear springs offhand, but I think it's going to butt the springs right up against the A body diff's backing plates, isn't it? If not, you'll for sure have to weld new perches on anyway, so you can set the angle anywhere you want to.

Do you have a 9 1/4 rear axle in the truck now?

You will most certainly need to and can shim it. Locating it will be an issue.

there is no rear in it when i got it, but the spring perch measures 43 inhes ctoc

Does any one know the width of stock 8 1/4 D150 housing? Thanks

D100 8 3/4 housing, flange to flange
  • '65-'71= 58 5/16"
  • '72-'74= 59 7/16"
D100 8 3/4, drum to drum (wms to wms)
  • '65-'71= 63 15/16"
  • '72-'74= 64 3/8"
An accurate 8 3/4" rear axle width list

Those are what I have specs for. If it's later than that, you can probably assume it is wider than what is listed...

My nearest auto salvage yard quoted me $350 for a 9 1/4 axle out of dodge truck with 30 day warranty. Much stronger axle than an 8 3/4 or 8 1/4.

a member here put a A-body rear end in his truck. He sat it right on top of the leafs. Perches fit, but the axle will be narrower, great if you are using deep dish rims

ya i was thinking of a C-body housing for more width and move the perches

That lowers the truck substantially, right?

ya i was thinking of a C-body housing for more width and move the perches

'70-74 C-body and '72-74 D100 housings are the same width. C-body perches are at 46" c-c though

If I recall, the C-body wagon is the same width as the truck. You'll also need different shock/spring plates for the conversion. I'll get pics of the parts I used in the morning.
100_3600.JPG

If I'm remembering correctly, when I flipped the 9 1/4" in my '77 D150, the rear yoke was above the centerline drawn through the trans. The leaf springs were used, but definitely not worn out. Just something to consider for pinion angle, is all.

Puts the shocks at a pretty stupid angle as well...

20150308_180832.jpg

And that was before the bed went on (obviously).

None that I've noticed, but with 3.92 gears I haven't run it over 70 yet. Not until the 518 goes in. The truck rides surprisingly well for being altered this much, especially by a rookie.

When I set the pinion angle, I put it 2 degrees below a "straight line" to the u-joint on the back of the trans. Probably not right, but it seems to be okay so far. After a couple thousand miles, my u-joints are still fine (if that is any indicator).

The issue with flipping the axle on a truck is that it will most likely hit the frame. You with need air bags, stiff springs or c-notch. If you had a diff, they make flip kits (easy route) with adjustment for the pinion angle. Been there done that. Craig

-
Back