Axle ID help

-

Pushrod26

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I need some help identifying this axle. I’ve tried looking up the casting numbers, but with no luck of identifying it. Here’s some pictures of it. It looks like an 8 3/4 housing but I’ve never seen these numbers before. Let me know what you think.

B97CB4D8-10DC-4ADB-82F9-3CC59B9663DE.jpeg

74186C19-0CA7-4931-AED4-E0BCCB65EBD3.jpeg

Sure looks like an 8 3/4 there should be numbers on the side of the pumpkin.ie: last 3 digits 741,742,489...

What did it come out of? Numbers on the side will be below the reinforcing rib next to the pinion.

How about more pictures of the carrier section from different angles???

Trunion plate & low casting number, so possibly one of the earliest units from the 1950s.

It’s an 8 1/4. See in ur pic where there is 2 bolts and nuts side by side, by the axle tube, it’s has 11 holes, that’s how u tell it’s an 8 1/4. 1956 and older. An 8.75 has 2 bolts at the very top. Kim

The guy selling it says it’s an 8 1/4 out of a 50’s coronet. I’ve never seen an 8 1/4 like this before, and to the untrained eye it looks like an 8 3/4. Thanks for the help everyone. I will still post up more pictures of it when he sends them to me. I appreciate the help.

Sure looks like an 8 3/4 there should be numbers on the side of the pumpkin.ie: last 3 digits 741,742,489...
Hello everyone. I need some help identifying this axle. I’ve tried looking up the casting numbers, but with no luck of identifying it. Here’s some pictures of it. It looks like an 8 3/4 housing but I’ve never seen these numbers before. Let me know what you think.

View attachment 1715356304

View attachment 1715356305

I agree it looks like an early 8 3/4. Are the axle ends threaded with nuts on the outside of the drums?

And keyed tapers for drum retention. Sometimes, drums get warped beyond usage by improper attempts at removal. As far as I know, replacement drums are nearly impossible to find now. I have a friend that just went with a Ford 8.8 in a 54 Belvedere with 31,000 original miles due to mangled rear drums. Originally designed for flathead six duty, the most positive things I have heard about these axles is that they are great for extra profit when hauling off a load of scrap iron and steel.

So I found some information on the rear end, and it is an 8 1/4. There are no other casting numbers on the center section other then the numbers in the picture above.

Looks the same as the rear axle out of the ‘55 Coronet I had, or the one in my ‘53 Dodge pickup. They look like 8 3/4’s, even side by side with an actual 8 3/4 they look the part. But as already mentioned none of the parts interchange. And those tapered axle drum brakes are a royal pain in the butt. With very few parts available too.

I swapped out the one in my ‘55 Coronet for a 68-70 B-body 8 3/4 and had a driveshaft made. Huge improvement.

-
Back