Axle question

-

TheTecher

Evan the jeeper.
Reaction score
How can I figure out what axle s on my 68 Barracuda. It had a 318 and a 727 if that helps.

Evan

IF the 727 was factory, it MIGHT have an 8 3/4. This would have been some sort of heavy duty option. Standard equipment was a 904 with a 7 1/4 axle. Post a picture and we'll confirm.

From what I found out from the fender tag it had a 727, the car came without a engine or transmission. Ill try to post a picture but it will take a while.

I copied this from another post here.

rear end guide.jpg

Thanks, I cant see the back of it right now but from feeling it I think it is a 7 1/4. What can you guys tell me about this axle, Im new the the muscle car thing?

The 7-1/4 is not very strong. Basically only good for a slant 6 or low perf. 273 or 318. It would be odd to have a car with a 727 trans. and 7-1/4 rear but with Mopar anything is possible. It's also possible somebody put it in there and it's not original.

Thanks, Im not really sure if it is a 7 1/4. I couldnt see the back, I just had to feel the shape. Your right, it could have been changed 10 times.

welcome!! easiest is to look for no bolts at rear of diff, look at it straight on, you hopfully see a round shape! my 318 had a 7 1/4 was ok for tootling round but one day when i really gave it some it let go,biggest problem finding an 8 3/4 A body over here,well worth the upgrade,you will need bigger u bolts and have to shorten prop.

-
Back