Axle Shaft ID Question

-

GTXperience

Orig Stealth Mod
Reaction score
I have a pair of axles that are approx. 27.5" from the inside of the flange to the end, and they are 30 spline. They were originally 4" BP but have been drilled for a 4.5" BP. Can anyone tell me what rearend these came out of ?

TIA.

Sounds like standard 8-3/4 A-body axles. I have a stock one here and they measure 27-11/16 from splined end to the inside of the flange. I think A-bodies are all that originally used the 4" wheel bolt pattern but I'm not positive.

Sounds like standard 8-3/4 A-body axles. I have a stock one here and they measure 27-11/16 from splined end to the inside of the flange. I think A-bodies are all that originally used the 4" wheel bolt pattern but I'm not positive.

fishy, thanks for looking into that for me. I seemed to remember it being from an 8 3/4 rear but wanted some verification. As for all A-bodies having a 4" BP, I think it is true for all the A-bodies up to '73 but I believe the post-72's came with 4.5" BP on the 8 1/4" rears and on the front disc setups. I should know this after all these years but if it is not correct, someone please correct me.

All a body 8.75 rears were 4" BP

Correct, 73+ has 4.5" BP, IF, it was a disk brake car. Drum brake cars were generally 4" BP up to 76.

Glad to help Ben and thanks both of you for correcting my mistake. I knew the newer ones had them. Just had 8-3/4 stuck on the brain and all them were small bolt pattern in a-bodies. Wasn't thinking about post 72's with 8-1/4's. It's been about 20 yrs. since owned the only post 72 A-body I had. A 73 Duster. It had a 7-1/4 rear and if I remember right it was small bolt pattern and drum brakes.

-
Back