Axle Shaft Runout

-

1975Scamp

Reaction score
I am changing out my open carrier with a suregrip in my 8.25 rear. Since I had it torn apart, I thought I would also try to solve a vibration I feel that starts at around 55 mph. I took my axles to have them checked to make sure they were not bent. The bearing surfaces are pretty true, but there are several areas where the runout throughout shafts are up to 70 thousandths out. Is this just the imperfections in the castings? What is the tolerances on this? Would this affect balance?

with the axles out, it's hard to tell. I would consider 0.070" to be a lot of runout.

If I was measuring I would have measured the shafts in the installed position. I would be concerned on parts assembled with more than 0.015"

Anyone else? Am I understanding that the only way to check is for them to be installed and check runout once installed at the hub?

I would think it possible to have an out of balance condition. Dr. Diff would be the member to ask about your axle condition and what could be done with them. Maybe send him a PM.

-
Back