Axles and wheels

-

highflyer

Reaction score
NEED HELP..Son wants to put on wheels[73 duster] and i want to go from a 8 1/4 to a 8 3/4 first..its a body 8 3/4 ,so it has sbp axles..i have a set of 10 x 2.5 backing plates from a truck..if i buy axles made for these brakes dimensions.do i have to reconsider the backspace on the new wheels or will the back space i want to buy now work..will new axles push the new rim in or out and do i now have to consider hitting at the top of the wheelwell,all help appreciated..j

The 4.5 bolt circle axles do create a different distance form axle flange to housing flange. It should wind up making the flange to flange measurement wider. How much I'm not sure but I don't thing it is that much.

The axles for an A-body 8 3/4" have to have the bearing location machined like for B/E body 10x2 brakes along with the 4.5" bolt pattern and larger register. The length stays A-body size. Telling the axle manufacturer what parts you are using will help them get it right.

I just don't know if truck 10x2 brakes are the same as car 10x2 brakes.

I believe '73-'75 A-bodies kept the 4" bolt pattern if they had drum brakes all around which were 9" (I think?). The disc option gave them 4.5" bolt pattern and 10x2s.

Oops! ....meant 10x2.5"

-
Back