AZ exhaust emissions

-

THE STEVE

"part-time wheelman"
Reaction score
just moved from indiana to queens creek az. in the next few months ill be going back to indiana to get my 72 duster. i know the cutoff year is 67 and i know ill have to have my car taken to get tested for emissions. i have a mild built 360 with headers and flowmaster 44s with 2 1/4 pipe that exit in front of the rear axle. is there anything i need to know before i go get it tested? ive heard there are local laws about noise, but will the flowmasters be too loud? also any info on what all they test a vehicle on will be much appreciated. i cant seem to find any info online about what all they check on an old car.
thanks

If you can not get thru the sniffer test there are plenty of shops that can help. I used a guy that was on Main Street in Mesa once. Thought AZ passed a law that if you have collectors insurance you do not need an emissions test. As to the noise, that is a new one on me. I rode a chopper that was muffled and never had a problem. There are certain areas that have noise restraints, but I think they are all up by Cave Creek.
They will do a visual inspection of the emissions system. The car will need to have all of the oe smog equipment. At the very least make sure that the cap and your fuel system hold pressure, because they will check that for sure. Do you live any where near the old GM proving grounds? It was on Ellisworth, south of 60.

Found this , collectors insurance will get you around the sniff test....Verify that you need a test......

i live right down the road from the old proving grounds. my duster has a fuel cell in the truck, its secured, vented, and has a locking cap. think they will make a stink about it?
thanks for the info!

Probably not, as long as it mimics the oe stuff. If the oe cap were vented you might want to get a vented one for yours. Did your ride have a charcoal canister when new? If so, they will probably look for it, as well as having the carb hooked to it. They will probably just grab the vent line to the carb, if it is needed and pull on it. I had a open element air cleaner, just clamped the hose to it to get thru. There is a good chance that they will have no clue as to what your car came with, so you might want to just go and see what happens. When I bought my Fairlane into AZ I had to take it and the vin verified, they did not know where it was located so they just let it go.
I used to live a few miles form the proving grounds. I was in Mesa, the Red Mountain park was right behind my house. If you ever need a trans guy my buddy is on the end of Meridan. Guy does fantastic work.
Not that it is any of my business but have you thought about just getting collectors insurance? Not only have the benefit of having full coverage but it would also mean you could avoid the Sniffer crap. I know everybody thinks they will be able to drive there car year round in the "Valley of the Sun" but brother the summer is brutal. If you have another vehicle with a/c that whole "I am going to drive my hot rod everyday thing" will go out the window first time you drive the car with a/c. And do not forget that Queen Creek/AJ gets bombed with Snow Birds every year and with all the old folks that should not be driving anymore that area can be a bit of a hazard to drive your classic car in. I believe Grundy offers an unlimited mileage type of deal.
Have you been out to Tortilla Flats yet? Bit of a tourist trap, but in the summer it is not to crowded. Another nice ride is out thru Globe and then up thru the Salt River Canyon.

As stated you will need the evap canister all hooked up. They run your car on a Dyno at different speeds through a simulated course that is on a computer screen. They will check your gas cap also as stated, can't say about the fuel cell. If you fail most of the time it's just a matter of timing and or leaning out your carb. Had 74 F250 4x4 that would fail every time, went out and bought a o2 analyzer leaned it out and it passed every time. Then you can just set it back where it was. You should not have any problems with the flowmasters, seems like everyone out here has them. You can call MVD or go on line to service AZ for more info.

You mean Valley exhaust emissions.
There are no emission tests up here in Prescott.

your exh has to be accessible from the out side. i have axle dump and they wouldnt smog it. had to get it to the bumper...

dang, my exhaust dumps at the axle. the canister is long gone. the engine bay is as bare bones as it gets. i dont even have a choke. i think my best bet is to take it there and have them write me a grocery list first thing then ill know what to fix. thanks for all the info guys!

Good luck. When I lived there Pinal county had no emissions, I just went and got a box at the shipping place on the corner of Meridan (?) & Apache Trail. But now they will probably want proof of residency so that rules anything like that out. I would just get collectors insurance and be done with it.....

Good luck. When I lived there Pinal county had no emissions, I just went and got a box at the shipping place on the corner of Meridan (?) & Apache Trail. But now they will probably want proof of residency so that rules anything like that out. I would just get collectors insurance and be done with it.....

Well they do now same as Maricopa.

Well they do now same as Maricopa.
My buddy out in AJ told me that it has changed.......he had to go get cat. convertors put on everything he owned....Think it changed right around the time I moved out.....

-
Back