B-17 in Denver in June

-

Denvermike

Reaction score
Of the approx. 12,800 B-17s that were built less than 12 are still flying in the world. One of then will in the Denver area on June 20 -22. Rides will be available. Last year there was a P-51D and an AT-6 on display. Several WWII vehicles and displays. Tours thru the plane will be available also. No charge to come out watch. Pedal planes for the kids. Go to the web site for Wings Over the Rockies for more info. If it is not posted, it will be soon.
The sound of four huge piston engines is something that every gear head has to hear at least once.
Mike

Love the Flying Forts! Aluminum Overcast (one of them) will be in Decatur, IL around the 8th of May this year, just next weekend. A friend of mine, had (2) P51's. They were hangerd in Danville, IL. I rode in one of them in an air show in Decatur back in the late 80's...ride of my life! It was a modified "D" model where the 75 gallon aux tank was taken from behind the pilot and a jump seat was installed. As I have heard, he had sold one of the 'Stangs and purchased a Thunderbolt, P47 as his father flew P47's, I assume in WWII. I obtained all my pilot ratings out of little airport north of Champaign Il, known as Frasca Field. Rudy Frasca, the owner has built flight simulators for all over the world and has, just to name a few, P40 Kittyhawk, FM2 Wildcat and a 5 blade Griffon powered MKXVIII Spitfire. I remember back in the 80's that prior to being rebuilt, the elliptical wings to the Spit were down in the room where I was racking up some hours on simulators for my instrument instructor license.

Cool Stuff! Everyone, at least once needs to see some of these historic aircraft.

We will be able to see more of the old WWII aircraft in the Dallas-Fort Worth area soon. The CAF is moving here from West Texas, and I'm anxious to see what all they have.

I've seen a B-17, B-24, B-26, P-38 and P-51 at local air shows, and they always draw huge crowds. One year they invited former B-17 crew members for a nostalgia flight. The old guys were like kids when they climbed aboard for the flight, and a couple were in tears when it ended. One of the former pilots said he even got a little seat time and he hadn't forgotten a thing. It was pretty emotional even for those of us just watching.

I've only been aboard a non-flying B-17, and it was on display at a gas station in Portland, OR right after the war. I remember crawling across a sheet of flimsy plywood over the bomb bay to get to the tail gunner's position and being in awe of the tiny, exposed position the gunner had to occupy. There were numerous flak holes in the skin all over the aircraft, which emphasized the reality of what the crews endured in air combat. I heard that plane had been removed and parts cannibalized to keep one of the remaining planes flying.

-
Back