"B" body drivetrain into "A" body

-

wedgie

Reaction score
After changing to the A body engine mounts and exhaust manifolds, I finally have been able to install my 273 and 904 from my '65 Coronet into my '65 Dart. I had to modify the crossmember in order to accept the trans mount and while I was at it, I also modified it to accept dual exhaust. It appears that the A body 904 must have a different tailshaft because I will never be able to hook up the speedo cable because of chassis interference, and the driveshaft is going to need drastic shortening.
Is there a plug available to fill the speedometer hole?
My B body downshift linkage won't fit the tight engine bay either. Anybody have any kuck with the cable operated downshift linkages available?
I was also able to install all of my spare Coronet front brake setup, giving me much better brakes. All I had to purchase was Upper A arms for a late disk brake A body and everything including upper and lower balljoints bolted on.
After Moser did their thing I was also able to install an 8 3/4 from the Coronet.

here is what i've been using in my 63 dart with a 904/360 combo linked to a eddie 750.

http://www.bouchillonperformance.com/BPEtkdc.asp

It has worked great for the past 2 yrs. Takes a little effort and time to set it up properly but once it's set it stays. I do have to warn you that you may have to either dimple or add a small hump for clearance.

I put a 360/904 in my 64 dart and used a lokar kickdown cable. it went in pretty easily but i would recommend bolting the brackets and stuff into the transmission before installing it into the car. it is REAL tight under there. also you will have to do a little hammer work on the tunnel to get some clearance so there is some fitting work involved.
good luck. i did it the hard way in the driveway with the trans in the car and it only took me about two hours. its adjustable at the carb end so its pretty easy to get it set up right.
-tim

-
Back