b body rear in a body

-

dennday67

Reaction score
Okay all that have done this swap and have welded new perches to the 43" center to center. Did anyone adjust for pinion angle or do you just stick with the factory b body pinion angle? I know I should check what mine is and match it.

I actaully set mine in the car, centered it, adjusted the pinion angle to the desired 5-7 degrees down (since it is a racecar with SS springs,etc) tacked it in place and then removed the housing and welded the perches , painted it and then reinstalled everything.

I did it that way to avoid having to adjust the pinion angle with shims (what i had to do with a stock A-body housing a few years earlier when I first installed the SS springs).

If you are using it as a street car, I would think starting at the same angle as used by the factory on the B-body housing would be quite acceptable. I would just measure the angle and maybe adjust with shims if it was way off.

Bob

PS: have you installed the rear in you car yet? I have a friend with a 72 dart swinger and am interested in how a B-body rear looks and fits in a straight sided A-body.

if the tires and wheels are tite agenst the outer lip they will hit with that rear.they dont look bad if you get the right wheels ( more back space )............Artie

I'm with Bob on wanting to see pics when it's done! I have a b-body rear sitting in the garage waiting to go in my 69 dart.

I'm literally dealing with this same issue right now. I posted about it last night. I need to get one into my '72 Dart Swinger, I'll be sure to monitor this thread just as closely!

It's going to be awhile before I get it in as I'm saving to buy a house. I also followed the article in mopar muscle but did it on a bench with two jack stands and a jack for the pinion with an angle finder. Note a quality angle finder is money well spent. Now I know why mine was given to me. A cheby guy who does this kind of thing all the time told me to go slow and only tack the perches instead of running a bead so as to not warp the housing. Now I'm really doubting the welds. They do go all the way around and the Lincoln 220 MIG was plenty hot but there still just tacks. I fig good enough for mock up and if the angles are off then It's off to his shop to redo them. He also has more accurate equipment since he builds drag cars. I got another co worked going to setup the gears when i buy them. Havnt decided what ratio to go with yet. Going to run a 360/727 with a 26"-27" tall tire. just for the street.
I was also told that a 15x8 with 5.5 bs will clear a 255/60R15. Can anyone confirm this? I'm going to run my rallye 14x5.5 with 3.625 bs in the front with 215/60R14. I'm also getting the rest of the parts to do my bbp disc brake swap tomorrow.

-
Back