B-body rear in an A-body anyone?

-

1ToughDuster

Reaction score
As I undergo my 8 3/4 axle swap I wanted to check and see if anybody has ever put a 62-70 b-body axle under an a-body (i.e duster /dart/demon)?

I found an article online where a guy moved the spring perches in 1/2" on both sides (to get the 43" a-body axle spacing) and bolted on a set of 255/60/15 tires with no issues. I forgot what size backspacing (4 1/2" ?) he used with his ralley wheels but according to him, this is a much easier swap without having to narrow anything. The axle is a couple inches wider than an a-body but is said to work okay as long as you get a wheel with enough backspacing to move the tire into the wheel well towards the springs.

I'm going to attempt the same swap since I have some b-body axles, a housing, and a 3.55 posi third member.

Anybody ever heard of this or tried this?

Yes man...This has been done hundreds upon hundreds of times...I've even done it myself!!...I put a 68 B-body rear in my 68 cuda...All you have to do is move the spring perches in 1/2" each side. Which is pretty easy to do. This is great because you get the large bolt pattern, and the bigger brakes! All you need now is a touch more backspace and you are ready to drive! If you have any questions along the process, feel free to ask!
Good luck.

-James

Mopardude318 I'll conatct you if I run into any problems. I should be getting started on it in a couple of weeks. What size backspacing did you use? I'm planning on using Cragar S/S Wheels. I think that the guy in the article used a 7" wheel with 255/60/15 tires

Well, I'm using a 17x8 inch tire, with 5.72" of backspace. So for you, I'm guessing anywhere from 5 1/2 to 5 3/4" of backspacing will be fine. I would wait and see who else responds and see what backspacing others are using with a B-Body rear...

As I undergo my 8 3/4 axle swap I wanted to check and see if anybody has ever put a 62-70 b-body axle under an a-body (i.e duster /dart/demon)?

I would not use the 62-64 axle unless as a last resort as it has the tapered axles with the large nut securing the brake drum requiring a special puller to get the brake drum off.. 65 -67 are less wider than the 68-70.

I'm thinking that 4 1/2 " of back spacing may do it for me but I'll mount an actual weel to make sure.

75 Dart Sport and also a 71 Duster. The 75 Dart Sport had a B-body 8 3/4 and was unmodified, other than bending up the inner lips so they didn't tear up the sidewall and welding the spring perches to A-body width, and I was able to run a 275X60X15. The 71 Duster had a B-body Dana 60 and the only modification was the 3/4" spring location kit which is basically just offset hangars and welding the spring perches to needed width; with that kit I was able to run a 10" wide rim with 305X50X15 tires.

I just had one built for me by our buddy here on the site, "BubbaC".can't say enough about him either....great guy to work with.

He did a simple spring perch relocation, new green bearings, some paint, and voila' ! She's going in my 76 Duster project behind a mildly worked 318 and drag pack 904....... Can't wait to finish it.

Good luck on your swap. 8)

-
Back