b body tank in an a body?

-
i think there is someone here on FABO that has a B-body tank in his abody but cant remember who.
im planing to do the same thing just have to do some more reserch on this but im pretty sure you cant have the bbody tank and keep the sparetirewell.

last time i filled up my 65 belvedere it held 15 gallons and last time i filled up my 68 dart it held 15 gallons...

if you want more capacity make a tank in the shape of a tire and put it in the spare tire opening...

did it on a customers car and worked great... just use big enough vent tubes other wise it take forever to fill up

'69 b-body tanks are too long, you need a '71/up tank.

The spare tire well has to go away and you have to make a flat trunk floor as well as a couple of rails to support the tank. The rails stiffen the floor nicely and also serve to lower the tank a couple of inches so that the fuel filler can come out behind the license plate. The fuel filler has to be above the top of the tank or else you wouldn't be able to fill the tank to the top. Without spacing the tank down the fuel filler wants to come out in the middle of the bumper (just like a '71 Charger... go figure!)

You can keep the original trunk latch plate but it must be modified a little for the filler neck tunnel. I removed it to make the floor easier to work on and later went a different route with the trunk latch.
img0008wo.jpg

img0018t.jpg

Since my car will be fuel injected the space also allowed the top of the fuel pump module to stick up out of the tank a little.
img0035fd.jpg

Of course the hole in the left quarter panel will be filled for a smooth look. The narrow b-body tank lets you run dual tailpipes even with the springs moved in. I used the stock b-body straps and j-bolts.
img0049yo.jpg

img0040nq.jpg

Hope this helps.

This is great and you did it with mopar parts . I had to cut my tank to get the exhaust on. Can you get more pictures from the rear of it when it is done . I will have my son do this to are Demon. I lost capacity when I cut my tank in the Duster. Its not like I am going far with the Duster, But the Demon he wants to drive with new a injected hemi. Are the rails and the floorpanel from the 71 charger? and how did you add the modual?

Thanks Omm, I like to keep things looking like the factory put them there. I tried the rails from a Charger, but they weren't perfectly flat, they had a slight bend to them. By the time I modified them to fit they looked horrible, plus they were kinda rusty to begin with so I trashed them and made my own. The trunk floor is a flat piece of steel with some beads rolled into it to match the trunk floor extensions.

I used a piece of 5/16 plate and fabricated an insert for the tank. I machined it into a circle, made the step, cut out the center, drilled and tapped the holes for the studs and welded it in at the deepest point of the tank.
img0024jp.jpg

The fuel pump module is out of an '08 Viper and it fits nicely in the b-body tank.
img0031im.jpg

As far as more pics, I won't have any for some time. Are you looking for something specific? I want to get the engine running, sort out any issues and take it all apart again for the final body work.

On a Demon, the fuel filler would come out on the taillight panel between the trunk lock cylinder and the bumper. The rear bumper (and license plate) on the Dart is higher allowing me to put the filler behind the plate. On the Demon you would have to make a fuel door in the taillight panel.

Don't know if this helps, but here's a shot with the filler installed. I'm going to cut a corresponding hole in the valence and install a hinged license plate bracket off of a c-body to finish it up.

img0010kl.jpg

what are you going to do w/the hole in the front corner of the tank?

Right now it's blocked off. Most aftermarket fuel gauges won't read the Viper sending unit so I may have put in a stock sending unit later on.

-
Back