B-Cuda Hood Hinges

-

barracudadave67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Any body know what kind of hinges and springs to use with a fiberglass hood ??. I have heard that the stock springs are to strong and will brake off the corners of the hood, Is this so ??.
The hood will be going on my 67 Coupe.

Barracudadave67

why don't you just get brackets and 4 hood pins and pin all 4 coners?

i just think it looks :thumbup: on an a-body.

but thats just my .02 worth.

bill

That's a good question i don't know the answer to. How about if you ditch the springs all together and use a prop-rod off a late model car? Maybe call a fiberglass manufacturer and see what they recommend.

I took the factory springs off of the hinges and used a prop rod. Works really well.

Replace the springs with those off of a Daytona or LeBaron. They are lighter and are supposed to work pretty well.

Yup the Daytona springs work. I think yu'll need to pull the fenders off to change the springs though.

Thanks for the reply guys
I'll look into the Daytona and Lebaron Ideas

Cudaboy -- Do the fenders have to come off to disconnect the springs ??.I didn't really want to take the fenders off, for any reason.

Barracudadave67

You'll probably have to take the hinge right out. Take the splash shield off and reach up in there and pop the two retainers off that hold the hinge in. I had to replace a broken spring on my old '69 Cuda and this is the way I ended up doing it. Not the easiest thing to do, you have to be careful no to mangle the clips. Just a thought.

The way moparracer described might work if your lucky. The biggest problem for me was putting the push on clips back on from an angle. They'll hammer on easily with a socket but coming from the side was difficult for me. Maybe it would be possible to remove the spring w/o removing the whole hinge by pushing it off its mounting points with a large screwdriver or pry bar. Look over me if this sounds ignorant, it's been a long time since I did this.

I have a broken spring on my car. I tried to get the hing a part threw the splash shield but couldnt.

Just take off the doors, that's what I did. 4 bolts each side. Piece of cake. If you want to do the splash shield thing that will work too. Instead of trying to get the clips back over the studs just use a small hose clamp. Removing the fender is NOT the way to do this.

Hey ! That hose clamp sounds like a good idea. If you wanna break the original clip off, take a long flat head screwdriver and hammer and hit it from the side. if it doesn't break it will at least warp and loosen from the stud.

-
Back