B engine in early Valiant

-

branczdad

Reaction score
I'm building a 64 Valiant, currently a 273 push-button. I have 2 B blocks, a 383 and a 400.No tranny for these,but I have a bell-housing from a 69 or 70 B-Body. On the small block side there's a roller cammed 89 360 in a truck, and an old 340 crank at my disposal,leaving the possibility of a de-stroked motor or buiding it as a plain 360.This combo has a 727 behind it,but it sat for a long time and is weak. Anyone who has done this early swap to a low deck big-block?Or would a tall deck motor fit easier? I'm not a big fan of cutting the inner fenders for my exhausts.Would a conversion to rack & pinion at the frontside of the K-member work? I've seen these advertised,just not for the early A's.Both B engines will need bored,but are complete,and I do have one good set of 452 heads.The 360 under consideration has swirl port heads, and does run. I've even considered swapping TBI fuel system and all. Has anyone opened THAT can of worms? Anyone know if they make a "hotter" computer or chip for that system? Any help would be appreciated.Thanx FABO!!! Bruce 8)

the 400 "B" would be the best choice for the bigblocks and if you could find a 440 steel crank even better. the 360 "LA" would be the easiest to install and would be a great motor to use because it has the latest techno stuff.

As bOb said, the 360 would be the most convenient swap, and actually goes in there quite easily, especially since you already have the 273 in there. I swapped a 360 in to replace the 273 in my 66 and it was a really easy fit. You can easily make more power with the 360 that you can successfully put to the ground in the early A's, unless you minitub and relocate the springs.

-
Back