B intake on a RB

-

70wayfarer

Reaction score
what are the pros and cons of using a B intake on a RB. heard of it being done and seen spacers available. are the longer bolts a prick to get in. i have a B M1 sitting here that i would like to use. heads have been planed a reasonable amount and deck milled for zero deck hieght. heads are B1 BS. cheers

Supposedly the RB (raised deck) model M1 single plane had slightly better fuel distribution than the B (low deck) models, according to the old engine books.
In reality, it will bolt up just fine with spacers as you are asking, and when properly prepped they are decent manifolds.
In case the more knowledgeable pros chime in, let us know which carb flange your M1 has.

Given the better availability of manifolds for RB's, I don't see the utility unless you have free/low cost machining. I'd bet there's more than one low deck guy who would be willing to swap for a similar RB manifold straight across to save the hassles. I'd offer but I just did such a swap with my last RB manifold. S/F....Ken M

have seen the spacers for sale so thought it might be worth investigating. was looking at the victor 440 or the trick flow. cheers

The only spacers I've seen, and used, are for the B1 originals. Although the ports were tiny enough so that they could probably be matched to standard or MW port dimensions. And that's because Koffel didn't make a tall deck manifold until recently. I have a set of B1O's on a megablock, and doing up the intake was kinda PITA. It did make for excellent port matching to the heads, but we wound up dowel pinning and set screwing the manifold to the adapters. I would have sold the manifold and bought the tall deck version, but I had gone through a bunch of clownery getting injector bungs mounted and welded to the manifold already.

I've heard nothing but good things about the TF single plane, that seems like a good idea. S/F....Ken M

The only spacers I've seen, and used, are for the B1 originals. Although the ports were tiny enough so that they could probably be matched to standard or MW port dimensions. And that's because Koffel didn't make a tall deck manifold until recently. I have a set of B1O's on a megablock, and doing up the intake was kinda PITA. It did make for excellent port matching to the heads, but we wound up dowel pinning and set screwing the manifold to the adapters. I would have sold the manifold and bought the tall deck version, but I had gone through a bunch of clownery getting injector bungs mounted and welded to the manifold already.

I've heard nothing but good things about the TF single plane, that seems like a good idea. S/F....Ken M

There is a guy on EBAY, that makes the spacers to do what you are asking. Cant recall his name, might have his number somewhere if you decide to do this. They come in standard or max wedge ports.

-
Back