B&M super cooler mounting questions

-

rustytoolss

Reaction score
I've got 2 questions about mounting my B&M Super cooler plate style trans cooler. First I have a Dodge A100. So I can place the cooler about 2ft in front of the radiator ..right behind the grill , this would give me the beat air flow (while moving)
Also I DO NOT have a cooler in the radiator !!
Back to the Super cooler plate type cooler. Will mounting the cooler with the hose ports pointed down be a problem ??? Will it cooler trap air inside , and reduce the coolers effect ? I've read this else were I'm unsure.. Tell me what you think

I've got 2 questions about mounting my B&M Super cooler plate style trans cooler. First I have a Dodge A100. So I can place the cooler about 2ft in front of the radiator ..right behind the grill , this would give me the beat air flow (while moving)
Also I DO NOT have a cooler in the radiator !!
Back to the Super cooler plate type cooler. Will mounting the cooler with the hose ports pointed down be a problem ??? Will it cooler trap air inside , and reduce the coolers effect ? I've read this else were I'm unsure.. Tell me what you think
Your placement is fine. As far as mounting it with the hose ports pointed down, why should there be a problem? In my Challenger, I used the same cooler(plate type) and had the hose ports pointed down. I had the car for 14 years and never had any issues with it. Oil is forced through the cooler by the pump in the transmission so I can't see how air could get trapped in the cooler. I had to bypass the radiator cooler, as it had plugged up and I couldn't get it cleaned out. Being on the frugal side, it was cheaper at the time to install a transmission cooler than get the one in the rad repaired.
Your last statement about no cooler in the rad might be a bit of a concern. If the cooler you have is the largest one, I can't see any issues, however, if it's one of the smaller ones, then there could heating issues. The one I used on the Challenger measured 12" x 11" x 1 1/2" thick. Perhaps it was overkill, but like I said, no heating issues period. These coolers are made by a company called Tru Cool and are repackaged by B & M and other companies. You can go to the Tru Cool website and get further information on them.
Hope this helps.

I know that the cooler I have is NOT the smallest/ or the largest either. Somewhere in the middle ?. As for the lines pointing down...just something I've read /or seen on another posting somewhere.

I know that the cooler I have is NOT the smallest/ or the largest either. Somewhere in the middle ?. As for the lines pointing down...just something I've read /or seen on another posting somewhere.
I wouldn't worry about what I've read or seen on another posting. I worked in the transmission parts/converter industry for almost 30 years, calling on transmission shops in Western Canada. I've seen coolers with the lines pointing sideways, up and down installed by many shops. On a bad guess from an old memory, most coolers were installed with the cooler mounted sideways, so I wouldn't be concerned which way the lines are pointed. Check out the Tru Cool website and see what they recommend for cooler line positioning.

I agree with Transman that it's not a problem mounting it most any way you can. It's a pressurized system so it'll force any air out in just a few seconds.

BTW: are you running a high stall converter? If so they build up more heat so it's necessary to run a bigger cooler than you would with a stock converter

Any manifold style cooler (B&M) can trap air at the top if flow comes in from the bottom. This is not a problem with solid line S type coolers.

Any manifold style cooler (B&M) can trap air at the top if flow comes in from the bottom. This is not a problem with solid line S type coolers.
From the website of TruCool Coolers (the manufacturer of these coolers), in their FAQ section, "Fittings can be located up, down or sideways".

I don’t think the air pocket thing is an issue as stated above, but if lines are anything but up, all fluid will drain back to pan, I figure I might as well have that fluid in storage keeping the cooler full.
That said, I ran my car with a B&M for a dozen years with the lines to the side with no issues.

-
Back