b-r/b swapfrom 318

-

stroker mike

Reaction score
So, I am gonna go for the big block, I have spool motor mounts on my car now, so I was told the swap would be easy. I have some questions, though, like was there a big block 727 with short tail-shaft for a-bodies? What tranny do I need to look for? I already know I will have to get the big torsion bars, and the big 8 3/4, too, but what about exhaust? What exhaust manifolds came stock on the 440 cuda? Did they have fenderwell headers or was that only the superstock Hurst version? Is a 383 formula s transmission different from other 727's? And finally, for this moment, is a 440 crank/400 block a hard build? It seems like working with a b block will give me a tad more room, and I was told the 440 crank will give me 451 ci, and lighter than a 440, too. I had thought the Schumaker tri-y swap headers looked good, but my buddy said that they are 30 -35 hp less than others, and in some cases, worse than stock! But headers for a big block 68 cuda will cost me some real dough, from what I'm seein', so any tips in this area would help alot!! Thanks, too. :thumbup:

I also have learned that the 67-69 cuda big block's had no power brakes. So my brake booster will not fit! But with the schumacher tri-y's, my power steering will fit. I have read up about them and decided that they may work for what I wanna do, I don't think that I will be going after 11 second et's. I do want a real street bruiser, though, and I was disappointed to find that my new brake system wouldn't fit with b-r/b, mine is factory size. Maybe there is a smaller booster around that will fit?

727's with a slip yoke have the same length whether the are small block, big block or /6. There is a short tail shaft 727 but it has a bolt on yoke and is used in trucks with multi-piece drivelines.

There is one other 727 tail shaft that is slip yoke but is not seen very often. It is the 727 that came out of an A100 pickup and van. It has a mounting boss on top of the tail housing instead of on the bottom like our cars. The trans hangs from the crossmember.

Chuck

stroker mike said:
I also have learned that the 67-69 cuda big block's had no power brakes. So my brake booster will not fit! But with the schumacher tri-y's, my power steering will fit. I have read up about them and decided that they may work for what I wanna do, I don't think that I will be going after 11 second et's. I do want a real street bruiser, though, and I was disappointed to find that my new brake system wouldn't fit with b-r/b, mine is factory size. Maybe there is a smaller booster around that will fit?
with the right m.c. you shouldnt need power brakes. manual steering will also free up a lot of room (and weight)

All things considered, I may have to cam up my small block for now cause the dollar/time thing ain't gonna work for me. I can do it if I want to take the time, cause at my wage it might take a long time LOLOLOLOL but I want to drive my car this year, so until I get a raise I can't afford it! Oh, well. I now will install a new cam lifters springs rods and roller rockers in my 318 with the engine still in the car and then for my next trick....LOLOLOL I will find some headers that fit for less than 300 dollars HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Throw in a 360, or just nitrous on the 318. With a safe tune, nitrous is not going to blow your engine. (assuming it's in good shape)

-
Back