B series in a 61-62 Valiant?

-

Slant6

Reaction score
Whats the diff between 62 and 63 A bodies? Shumakers kit says 63-66. I suggested to my brother in law to put a Bigblock in his 62 Valiant. He was told hed have to hack up the bay and ditch the heater just to fit an LA motor. I was told they were made to fit a Wideblock poly 318. Any info is appriciated. Thanks

Not sure about made to fit the poly 318. If you are skilled enough anything is possible. The 60-62 valiants have a large box (heater core) -- inside the engine compartment, 63 does not have this-- but the firewall is slightly different than the 64-66 cars & much different than 60-62 cars.
I didn't save a picture from the 63 but the attached is from a 1962 valiant-- 60-61 are very similar. Lawrence

IMG_4659.JPG

Whats the diff between 62 and 63 A bodies?

Body is COMPLETELY different. Engine bay is much smaller in the '60-'62 A-bodies.

Shumakers kit says 63-66. I suggested to my brother in law to put a Bigblock in his 62 Valiant.

Why? It's been done, but it's kind of a "look what I did, look at meee" thing to do. It requires extensive hacking of the car to fit the engine and transmission. And then what's the goal? What are we going to do with this extremely nose-heavy hack job? It'll be basically undriveable on the street…

He was told hed have to hack up the bay and ditch the heater just to fit an LA motor.

Yep...that's correct.

[quote[]I was told they were made to fit a Wideblock poly 318[/quote]

You were told incorrectly. No V8 of any kind was available in an A-body until midyear '64, and then it was the 273 LA. Changes were made from '63 to '64 to accommodate the V8 option under the hood. The poly 318 was never available in any A-body. The '60-'62 cars were made to fit a slant-6 and only a slant-6.

-
Back