B5 BLUE

-
This is a mix from the old color library from Akzo Nobel. This is in solvent basecoat. I do have a spray out on this one as well. They removed all of the colors pre 1975 now.

received_356501225906779.jpeg

This is a mix from the old color library from Akzo Nobel. This is in solvent basecoat. I do have a spray out on this one as well. They removed all of the colors pre 1975 now.

I have a question regarding the removal of colors...When I ordered a PPG mixed in 67 ford Acapulco blue the label they fixed on the can said Dodge Caravan *** blue. When I complained they mixed the wrong color they told me colors get recycled and the computer simply printed the latest use of the color. Have you heard of this?

If you look at the label I posted the color is a map position. The color map is basically a book with all of the colors in it. Green will start green and go to yellow and so on... this is all based off the color wheel. For example the color I posted is page 334 row c column 5. This is the map position for b5. If you looked up a similar color for any manufacturer it would be the same map position. Here is an example. I can post some pictures of the painters holy grail (map position) book tomorrow.

As you can see by the screen shot when I search based on a color map position it will show you literally hundreds of colors that are in the same position. That is why paint codes and color names really mean nothing to me. When I pick a color I use a color camera that will point you to the correct variant of the color. I use whatever is in the correct range even if I am spraying a "Toyota" code on a Chevy... doesn't mean anything other than a stupid name and a color that matches.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
And here is a camera reading I did today on a Dodge Ram.. Code is PCL.. and you can see the different colors that the camera pulls. I always let the camera search all data without telling it a code. Once you see the graph... In the middle means a blend-able match.... Above means better, below means not so good. In this case I then added the code and got it in spec... and it was basically a panel paint-able match.

MoparPCL.PNG

Can anyone show me the difference between GB5 & EB5 blue

This is an exercise in futility. How the color looks in a picture will depend on the lighting, camera settings, angle of the camera etc. And how it looks on your computer screen has more to do with the capabilities and settings of your screen than the actual color of the paint.

It’s already been mentioned many times, ANY paint with metallics in it is extremely difficult to match. Even paint from the same damn can will appear lighter/darker depending on the settings of the spray gun, the temperature and humidity at the time of the spray out, the cure time on the paint etc. Because all of that can effect how the metallic lays out in the paint, and how the metallic lays out has a massive influence on what the color actually looks like.

Last edited:
-
Back