b5 differences thought the years?

-

1966 dart wagon

Reaction score
Hey guys i was just looking over color charts for plymouth and noticed according to the ppg paint book, according to mymopar.com, it says the code for b5 blue is different from 69 and thoughout the 70s, i was wondering is the color actually a different 'hue'/shade or is there something i am missing something.

Thanks guys, btw lets see some b5 blue cars(prefer cuda) while your reading/ posting :lol: 8)

50569_b5blue340.jpg

To me, EVERY B5 blue car I see is a different shade. Some I really like, and some are ok. I always wanted to paint my Bee B5, but I scared it won't be the shade I want. I think I'm just going to go with the Viper blue.

69 and 70 B5 is paint code 2019

71, 72, and 73 B5 is paint code 2306. This is a slightly darker blue than the 69 and 70 code.

74 and 75 B5 is paint code 2627, and the name was changed to Lucerne Blue Poly. My color diferentiation and eyesight aren't trustworthy enough to tell how much of a change there was from the original or second series color. :)

From what I've heard, the newer paint formulas are slightly off compared to the originals. I haven't personally had a chance to see and compare the old vs the new formulas.

danmc77, one of the reasons B5 has been so popular is that it never seems to be the same shade, and the slightest change in lighting conditions changes the hue and metalic orientation slightly, tricking the eyes into seeing a different shade.

You mean the Kelsey Hays recall wheels??

OldVart is correct. There is a noticeable difference between the 69/70 B5 and the 71 up, with the latter being darker. When my Challenger was painted, my guy mixed the paint according to formula, and it wasn't close to being right. But since it was a 12,000 mile car, he matched the paint to the underside of the decklid which hadn't faded. Consequently the car was as close to the original color it could be.

You mean the Kelsey Hays recall wheels??

You see the 5 x 4.5" versions from time to time, but aren't the 5 X 4" versions as rare as hens teeth...? I like them personally - mainly because of their rarity I guess. Same reason I like those old Hurst wheels...

You guys are right about the B5 variation and all of the reasons for it. One of my '70 340 Dusters is B5 and it was done in Amerflint back in '89. I'm not sure I've ever seen another B5 that looks quite like that one... LOL!

Ray

this is my 1969 Dart in 1971 b5 blue

dartmay08 001.jpg

The viper blue looks alot like B7 to me. Im really torn on what blue to paint my car as well. Thank god thats along way down the road!

-
Back