back again at it, been a LONG timeq

-

spooled scamp

Reaction score
hello, again, been ten plus years since i actually worked on the car. 71 scamp factory small block 318/904 car. will give the run down on the car for anyone that cares.

saw the car in the paper, went to look at it, not running, spark plug wires off, starter disconnected. guy said he wife was getting ready to pull the engine?! she was holding a new born. dont really remember what he wanted. had dart gt interior with the low back buckets, column shift, p/s power brake, drum car. 2 barrel <yawn> RADIATOR CAP WAS OFF(thats important later on in the story). So $850 i got the car.

brought home, check it over seemed ok, all undercoated, ok 20 foot paint job, car was complete, grill had some cracking. dual scoops on the hood, and rumble stripe on the rear. petty blue. black gut. hooked everything back up and got it started. ran ok per say, had a bit of a miss. drove around the block which in my neck of the woods is a couple miles. nothing to write home about.

to busy building everyone elses cars, had a broken stud on the driver cylinder head the day before we were going to the track. was late and in a rush, and woops hit the water jacket. so begins the build.

front end: magnum force tubular upper control arms, swapped to disc brakes with manual brakes and line lock. rear end: swapped to a 8.75" 3.23, adjustable pinion snubber. wheels:
weld pro stars with mickey thompson street e.t. i think they are? stock 904 trans still, hurst 1/4 stick shifter. put in manual steering with a floor shift column, didnt know they made an adapter so had cut and welded column to fit. stripped interior, added racing buckets, had to gussett and weld a couple spots on the floor.

engine, pulled top end. engine skip was a rounded cam lobe and i mean rounded to a perfect circle. had a 340 i bough off a friend that was all apart, had larger valves so i through those heads on the 318, edelbrock dual plane performer intake. still on points with mechanical fuel pump. 600cfm holley single feed. i THINK the cam is a .488 or it could be bigger cant remember but its same (.488/.488) on both sides. stock cooling other than new water pump and electric fan. put a 92 dakota mini starter in the car.

so basicaly lightened the car up a bit and its breathing really easy. didnt register it yet but wow does it rev to the roof and do some nasty burnouts! so i get it registered. take it down the road. its going to be a turbo car so 3.23 with a 26" tall tire. lets just say 3rd to 2nd at 60mph and the car pulled really hard. went to gas station, then to a friends house, and stopped at anothers friends house. car was idling out front and then started dumping antifreeze. jumped in and screamed to my house at about 75 mph with myhead out the window coolant was all over the windshield. luckily didnt blow a head gasket. got it cooled down, said wtf happened. well the people i got the car from, had the RADIATOR CAP off and mice got acorns in there that i didnt see or some nest. and it moved through and plugged the radiator.

so just happened to have a kid or ummm 3 and the car has been sitting for ten plus years. hey, i got to drive it ten miles... LOL.

so now going to get it back on the road. the valve train makes some noise, so i have adjustable rockers to put on. electronic distributor and electric fuel pump with msd ignition. need to put frame connectors and do the cage. build the trans, i have a 340 and a 360, one of them will get stroked with the turbo. i have a 71 charger 500 dash i am going to section and put in the car. love when people say stuff like oh a 318 those suck. yeah, its bigger than your 302. big breathing thats all they need. never put a tach on it yet but it revs quick and high, and the fuel and ignition being years gone outdated will be nice to have some fuel pressure to keep the carb flowing and some spark to ignite the fire. going to keep the 904 just build the snot out of it. to many parts sitting here to go on the car. have new 1/4's and rockers, new aluminum radiator. had bought a nice orignal grill and tail light set. going to lighten the car in every way possible. always was going to big block it but had gotten a small block turbo setup. who knows all depends on $ as usual.

looking forward to getting back into it, has been to long and good therapy working on the car, i just want to drive the thing!

10487312_10152306418914290_4568962262281015675_n.jpg

I have to agree that working on your own vintage car sure is good therapy. It's a great way to block out the world

-
Back