back firing trouble

-

bill paynter

67 Cuda
Reaction score
I realize that it's very hard to trouble shoot without actually see the car but I thought one of you could give me some alternet ideas to check

anyways here goes
may car has been back firing through the exhaust badly it sounds terrible can't even drive it fairly new plugs, new cap & rotor wires are also fairly new

I thought maybe the Distributer was the problem so yesterday I barrowed a coil and Distributer from another motor still same problem

I pulled valve cover off to check valve clearence 273 solid cam
had 2 tight valves others okay need a little adjustment

what should I check next ?????

Did it just start backfiring? Did you do any work to it just before it started? First thing I would check is to make sure you don't have any plug wires crossed.
C

it started several months ago I went to the track and it started missing top end, gradually has gotten worse
I guess I could have gotten a wire crossed I was so frustraited I just put it back in the garage

I would check for crossed wires or look into the coil wires (small ones)as well.

A valvetrain issue would be through the intake. Exhaust pops are typically electrical. Look in that realm, first.

check to see if it is actually and ignition problem, or mechanical.
its easy to determine. at least that way your not chasin your own tail.
if its the igniton, pretty straight foward fix.
if its mechanical, most likely a valve if no "unwanted" noises are present..

does it do it at idle? a burned exhaust valve can cause a exhaust backfire.........if so you can pull one plug wires at a time intell you find the cylinder or cylinders that are missing.......also did you check to see if the cap is cracked............others place of ele concern would be,bulk head connecter,balast resister..........you said you tried distrib...........good luck.............

Thanks guys
Kennmadruga you may be on to something with the bulk head, I had my regulator go out 2 years ago it overcharged and started to melt one of the bulk head connectors would that connector tie in with ignition???

ignition feed will come threw the bulk head connecter....iam not shure what one it is on 67 threw 69 cuda..........maybe someone will chime in.....but if not you could follow the wires from the balist resister to the b head connecter .....

OK, so about 10 years ago my brother buys this 340 challenger as his daily driver. He does a little work on it, drives it for a while and it starts backfiring through the exhaust. He goes through the ignition, the wiring, the fuel system, timing chain, takes off the heads and has them redone, puts em back on, same popping. What gives??? Well, the one thing he didn't check or change again was the spark plugs. Turns out one of the insulators was cracked, not even bad enough to see, but apparently it fired erratically enough to keep it popping through the exhaust. With fairly new plugs or not, an insulator can get cracked just changing the plugs. Check it out, it's cheap enough to rule out, unless you go about it like my Bro, LOL!!!

360Z28, that's a nice car & if it's a mopar 360 under that scoop you get a major thumbs up from me....

you have an old car back when they were new they required a tune up about once a year just to keep them running good on the street and much more often if you went to the track to day the gas we have is sh#$%tand a tune up will not last one of the signs that a tuneup was needed was back firing in the exh or as we called it shooting ducks just do a good full tune up (points a cap rotor wires and plugs)will in moat caces thak care of the problem OLD SCHOOL

-
Back