Back of the hood won't go down.

-

Corrupt_Reverend

Reaction score
I left the hood off for a couple months with the hinges in the up position.

When I put the hood back on a few days ago, the rear of the hood won't come down.

Looks like the guys with a tall intake but a stock hood. haha

I'm guessing it's because the springs were relaxed for so long that they are more tense now, maybe?

I've had the same issue in the past with a '69 Mustang and I was never able to get it sorted out on that car either.

The rear edge of the hood is up about 2-3 inches Edit: Went and looked. It's more like an inch-inch and a half) from the cowl. I've tried just putting pressure downward at the hinges but it won't budge.

Anybody know a fix for the issue?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

~Rev.

It's all about hinge alignment. I doubt that your springs have 'relaxed'. Your hinges are designed so that they need to go overcenter to lower themselves. It can seem impossible to get correct. Often when the back of the hood won't go down far enough guys will position the spring/hinge assembly lower. That usually is the wrong direction to go. It can prevent the over-centering that will pull the back of the hood down.

loosen the rear bolts and give the front bolt just a sninch less then tight.push up on the front of the hood and tighten the rear bolt,then the front.should be back in place.(did the washers cover the non-painted areas of the hood?)

Thanks guys.

abdywgn; your suggestion solved my problem. I guess I had the front-back position correct, but the up-down on the rear bolts was off.

Thanks again!

-
Back