Back spacing help

-

tguss

Reaction score
I added a 8 3/4 rearend to my abody , I measure from front of drum to side of spring and came up with 7 inches , question is would a 6 inch back spacing rim with tire on work with out rubbing or should I go with 5 1/2 ?

I added a 8 3/4 rearend to my abody , I measure from front of drum to side of spring and came up with 7 inches , question is would a 6 inch back spacing rim with tire on work with out rubbing or should I go with 5 1/2 ?

Depends on how much tire bulge. A 17-18" tire generally doesn't have much. A 15" tire can have quite a bit.

Is the rear end a stock A body width?

Is tubbed out

Tire may hit inner wheel well before spring

I would go on tirerack.com enter your tire size then check specs for section size.

For example if you have a 8" rim with a 275/60/15 tire. The tire section width will be about 11.1"

That tire is about 3.1" wider than the rim. Your tire bulge would be about 1.5" on the inside. Then you may want .5" clearance from the leaf spring. Add them all together back spacing 5", tire bulge 1.5" and clearance .5" you would need at least 7" from face of drum to leaf spring.

Make sure you check both sides of car could be different side to side by 1/4" or more.

One more thing I'll point out is that there is a clamp on the front of the leaf spring. Generally it will contact the tire before the leaf spring does. I have run tires really close to that clamp without any rubbing, even less than .25" clearance. That's just a FYI if you have a .5" of clearance to the leaf spring you will have at least a .25" off that clamp.

-
Back