Back to basics...A couple questions on my New A body!

-

Backtobasics

Reaction score
To make a long story short:

I just won an auction on the car I have wanted for years.

1976 Dart Lite

Here are questions:

I have read these come with the 7.25 rear end. Can anyone confirm?
I have heard that all 1976 Darts came with disc brakes. Can anyone confirm?

ummm, if you have a baby rear end, its the 7 and 1/4 and if you have calipers and rotors instead of drums, you have disc brakes...

Congrats on your new toy, be sure to post los of pics!

73 and up had standard disks and Im pretty sure that the dart lites had a 7 1/4 stock.

No ****? Every 73-76 I have seen has had disks even the slanted ones. My 73 dart custom with the 225 is a disk car as well. Ya learn something new every day.

yeah if it was a / drum brakes were still available but only if it was a / car my 75 duster had small bolt drums on it factory kind of stunk congrats on the new toy backtobasics lets see some pics when you get them

Here are questions:

I have read these come with the 7.25 rear end. Can anyone confirm?
I have heard that all 1976 Darts came with disc brakes. Can anyone confirm?

The one I bought new had a 7 1/4" rear end and disc brakes. The disc brakes were a required $38 option. Asked the dealer about it and was told this was to reduce rolling resistance and increase mileage. That's what the Dart Lites and Feather Dusters were built for. Can't say if the changes worked, since I drove it home and yanked the /6, OD 4 speed, and rear end for a '32 Plymouth Coupe. The Dart Lite wound up with a 440, 4 speed, and 8 3/4 out of a wrecked Charger I had lying around (don't ask), and was sold with 6 miles on the clock. Hope this helps.

My 76 Feather Duster had a slant and drums.Not much woa or go..

ummm, if you have a baby rear end, its the 7 and 1/4 and if you have calipers and rotors instead of drums, you have disc brakes...

Perhaps I should have clarified. I won an ebay auction, the car is not here, or I would be able to tell what is under it....

So there is no defininitive answer huh?
I will email the guy tonight. I am pretty sure the 7.25 is under it (least rolling resistance and drag, so it seems logical for Fuel Miser theme)

I am praying for discs.....If not, I am converting....!

If you can post a picture from the auction, showing the master cylinder, we can probably tell you just by looking at that whether it has disks or drums.

I did an ebay search and found item # 300189014759, which I think is the car you bought. It's hard to tell for sure in the engine pic but it looks like a disc brake master cylinder. I imagine you have the 7 1/4" rear, particularly since the seller is offering an 8 3/4" rear for $300 to the winner. The car looks good in the pics. Hope it's as nice in person. I think you probably got a pretty good deal on the car. If I were you I would take him up on his offers for the extra parts.

Yeah # 300189014759

:banghead: I didnt think about checking the master cylinder shape.
The picture is inconclusive. I will try to get ahold of him tonight!

Yeah, I think the extra parts are coming with me. The motor mount kit is 162.00 shipped, so that is a great deal.

I have a Feather Duster - it has the 7.25 rear with 2.91 gears and manual discs.

I also have a 1976 Dart Swinger (with 12k actual miles) - it has drums/small bolt pattern. It also has the 7.25 with 2.76 gears.

The Dart Lite is really rare - I've only seen 1 in real life. And it was a 318/automatic! Not all the lightweights were /6 and overdrive!

Well, it is home, running, and FINALLY it stops.

Verdict
This particular Dart Lite has 4 wheel drum brakes, MANUAL, and the 7.25 rear end.

I have a Feather Duster - it has the 7.25 rear with 2.91 gears and manual discs.

I also have a 1976 Dart Swinger (with 12k actual miles) - it has drums/small bolt pattern. It also has the 7.25 with 2.76 gears.

The Dart Lite is really rare - I've only seen 1 in real life. And it was a 318/automatic! Not all the lightweights were /6 and overdrive!

Actually ALL the Dart Lites and Feather Dusters were 6 cylinders ONLY you had the option of manual or auto tranny

No ****? Every 73-76 I have seen has had disks even the slanted ones. My 73 dart custom with the 225 is a disk car as well. Ya learn something new every day.

No my 73, came with drum breaks, and small bolt pattern.
I think they ran off the remainder of the old 72 stuff then switched after they ran out of the older stuff.

I'm not sure about the Dart Lite, but I think the Feather Dusters had aluminum trunk lids and some other accessories. But don't quote me. I had a '75 Dart Sport /6 auto with drums all around, manual.

Here are the basics. None of this is absolute so someone may be able to contradict.
Dart Lite and Feather Duster both received alum sub-structure to hood and deck lid. All were /6 with choice of a 904 torqueflite, or manual transmission. Manual trans normally meant 4 speed Overdrive, with aluminum case, but my car contradicts this.... Mine is 3 speed. It also has the code for 3 speed on the options tag. So apparently nothing is set in stone.
Mine is 4wheel DRUM, no power assist. It has NOTHING in options, no air, etc. AM radio. Bench Seat. 2 speed wipers. 7.25 rear end (gears TBD)
I have tried to further decode the tag, but most of the decoder/sites go up to 72 or 73. A FEW of my codes show up, but since mine is a 76, I am not sure if they still carry

Did the REALLY rare ones have some 2:48 gears in them or something like that?

Autos had 2:76 gears while the 3 sp/OD came with a "deep" 2.94 (haha)

Backtobasics: Not to sound negative but are you sure your car is a Lite? does it have aluminum bumper bracing or intake manifold? I'm just curious and also I can't find this info for sure but I thought I read somewhere that the Lites and Feathers had a deluxe door (wood grain) panels.

I am pretty sure it is but here is some documentation:

Dart Lite emblems
Picture054.jpg

Alum hood substructure, crimped on the ends
Picture055.jpg

Option Tag
Picture056.jpg

Disco Door Panels, YUK
Picture058.jpg

Wood dash accent
Picture059.jpg

Most current vehicle shots, for fun
Picture062.jpg

Picture061.jpg

Here is how option tag breaks down.

R11 END
LY9 U A31 A91 J25 N37
LY9 E2L3 000 B19 074313
E24 D13 LL29 C60 141780

Anyone help brake it down for me? Bear in mind, it is a 76, most of the decoders I have found do not go past 74?

What I have found says
A31 3.91 HP package (69-71 only)
A91 Western Sport Package (70 only)
J25 3 speed wipers
N37 ?
U denotes USA
D13 manual transmission floor shift
E24 225 1 bbl L6
R11 Music Master AM radio

Autos had 2:76 gears while the 3 sp/OD came with a "deep" 2.94 (haha)

Backtobasics: Not to sound negative but are you sure your car is a Lite? does it have aluminum bumper bracing or intake manifold? I'm just curious and also I can't find this info for sure but I thought I read somewhere that the Lites and Feathers had a deluxe door (wood grain) panels.

The intake is aluminum, I checked it this morning. The under hood structure is also, no stick with magnet. The support is aluminum, and there a Chrysler symbol stamped on it. I will take a picture next time I have the camera out.

After decoding the option tag, I checked with wiper motor. It actually has a 3 speed wipers!!!!

-
Back