Back up light switch adjustment

-

Darthomas

Ashamed to be seen in foreign cars
Reaction score
Ok, it's on my friend's 63 three on the tree, but I see the switch mounts the same as a four speed, and saw an old thread on this, with no definite conclusion reached.
Reverse engages just fine, but to make the lights work he has to pull up on the handle.
The internal lever doesn't seem to touch the ball on the end of the switch.
I haven't gotten under there yet, except to feel/confirm the wires are on tight.
Is there normally a washer or seal at this switch that might simply be too thick?
Will I likely be able to tighten it more to get it to work correctly?
If there's a sealing washer, could I delete that and then seal it with silicone?

not a hundred % sure but it might be easier to adjust shifter linkage on the steering column. located next to the fire wall. should be 2 linkage arms that are adjustable.

It's possible the linkage isn't traveling enough, and it's also possible that you'll just have to look at it to see what's going on.
I think if it was a worn button or to thick of a seal it would come on at all.

a thinner gasket will help
I looked this morning and the reverse engage linkage has no adjustment, so a thinner gasket or no gasket and silcone will be next step.
He said it's always been that way, and he doesn't mind holding the shifter, but I'd like to make it work the right way.
Thanks

I looked this morning and the reverse engage linkage has no adjustment, so a thinner gasket or no gasket and silcone will be next step.
He said it's always been that way, and he doesn't mind holding the shifter, but I'd like to make it work the right way.
Thanks

Hope it still goes into reverse when your done. :D
Hopefully it just wore a groove in the part that pushes the button in and spacing it closer will do it.

Hope it still goes into reverse when your done. :D
Hopefully it just wore a groove in the part that pushes the button in and spacing it closer will do it.

It's gotta be a matter of 15 thou....or less.
So close to making but not quite.

It's gotta be a matter of 15 thou....or less.
So close to making but not quite.

Sounds like it.
I can just imagine a little groove worn in the part that pushes the button and holding the shifter up makes it travel just a hair farther than the end of the groove and lifts the button just a hair more.

-
Back