back up lights

-

dart67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 67 dart with a 4 speed and the back up lights don't work.I put a new switch in at the tranny and a new harness from the wiper bulkhead connector to the trans I have power at the wiper bulkhead, but at the connection at the drivers door were it comes in from up top to were it meets from the back I have no power so I traced the violet color wire to the main bulkhead and no power,any suggestions?
Thanks Mike

Voltage from your Fuse (20Amp) runs "directly" through your firewall connection to one leg wire of your trans switch. When the conditions are met (in reverse) the contacts allows the current to run back through the other wire leg to the drivers side connector as you stated, from there it go's to your rear lights where grounded. (lights)

Open/split the drivers side connector, put vehicle in reverse and see if you have supplied 12V at this connector. If not, pull off your trans switch and put a small jumper wire between the 2 terminals and check again for 12V. If you show 12V you have a problem with your new switch. If you don't show 12V yet, you have a open circuit between your drivers connector and your firewall connector. If this is the case, recheck the firewall connecter pins. (use a test light) and watch for correct continuity as you wiggle the wires.

Clear as mud? :)

I have no power at the connection at the door,but power at the switch wires.Could I run a new wire to the door connector that has power would this work to make the connector powered?
Thanks Mike

dart67 said:
I have no power at the connection at the door,but power at the switch wires.Could I run a new wire to the door connector that has power would this work to make the connector powered?
Thanks Mike

Mike, Did you trace and try to push the wire pins back in on your engine side firewall connector? If you don't have power at the door connector, the problem lies at your firewall connector..(unless there's an open circuit along the wire going to the door connector. "Yes" you can easlily run a new wire. But first..to confirm your problem, splice the wire into your switch (return leg wire) in the engine compartment where you spliced it before into the bad wire, then run the new wire outside the car (not under the dash) to your door connector and confirm your backup lights come on. If they indeed they work...you can just cut and tape up the bad wire ends or try to pull out the old wire (NOT). I kinda think it's your firewall pin connection that's screwed, there very old and brakedown. I will send you a link, it shows a cool and clean way to go through the connector so you don't have to drill anymore holes, but thats up to you. Let me know how things work out. Heres the link (only read about the connectors)

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml

-
Back