Backspacing Help!

-
J

jefflee43

I have a 1972 Dodge Dart swinger and I need to know what size backspacing i need. It is a 8.75 a body rearend stock width with new dr diff axles and a 742 case and 4.56 sure grip. Any help would be great thank you.

I say this every time someone asks so I guess I'll say it again. I would use this method to determine what wheels and what backspace is needed to fit on your car. It takes about a hour to do, but you will know EXACTLY what you need to fit your car.

I say this every time someone asks so I guess I'll say it again. I would use this method to determine what wheels and what backspace is needed to fit on your car. It takes about a hour to do, but you will know EXACTLY what you need to fit your car.

most seem to use 4 1/2"

What size tires? What size rims?

For an 8" wide rim, you usually want to be between 4.5 and 4.75". Some cars can use a little more than that, some can't. Just depends on the car and the wheel/tire combo.

That's a good start, but it's not as EXACT as it sounds. I don't have 1" of clearance to anything on my Duster. I only have about 3/8" to the springs, and like the car described in the link, mine only rubs on the inside of the wheel well when placed at extreme angles, like going through a drainage. I certainly don't have 1" to the quarters either, and I've never hit those. What I really need to do is add a 3mm spacer to the back and never rub on anything.

It's a good method, and using the dimensions outlined will surely get you a tire that fits. But it also leaves some meat on the table depending on what tires you run, how much sidewall they have, how stiff your suspension is, etc.

It'll get you a lot closer than guessing or using what someone else has used on their car. When I did it with my car, I have about 3/4 of an inch clearance inside and out and NO rubbing at all.

What size tire and wheel do you want to run?

-
Back