Bad ECU from the factory!!?

-
I used the ECU from AutoZone. I sent the 2 Summit ECUs back for refund.They failed diagnostic tester. The AutoZone ECU is blue. The Summit ECUs are orange. The fit on the aftermarket distributor connector is better on the orange ECUs. Unfortunately neither one worked despite being the exact same component that came with the distributor change over kit. I buy alot of parts from Summit, and Jegs, but in this case; I have to say that my experience with the orange Summit ECU was not a good one, however it does come with a 90 day warranty. The Mopar ECU is a great ECU if money is not a concern, but it has no warranty. The AutoZone one is actually less then the one from Summit, and you don't have to pay postage if you don't mind the dark blue color.

one of the best ECU's is the standard brand LX 101 (Not the 101T) plenty of spart to 8K

I used the ECU from AutoZone. I sent the 2 Summit ECUs back for refund.They failed diagnostic tester. The AutoZone ECU is blue. The Summit ECUs are orange. The fit on the aftermarket distributor connector is better on the orange ECUs. Unfortunately neither one worked despite being the exact same component that came with the distributor change over kit. I buy alot of parts from Summit, and Jegs, but in this case; I have to say that my experience with the orange Summit ECU was not a good one, however it does come with a 90 day warranty. The Mopar ECU is a great ECU if money is not a concern, but it has no warranty. The AutoZone one is actually less then the one from Summit, and you don't have to pay postage if you don't mind the dark blue color.

I think NAPA has the same ones then cause theres is dark blue

heres an article I found on how to test distributors if its any help to anyone here

got NO spark???

grab your digital volt meter... set it to 2K ohms.. disconnect the 2 wire plug at the distributer. you should have around 800 ohms. give or take.. anywhere between 600 and 1,500 ohms is usually ok.

before you disconnect the volt meter. flip the setting to 2 volts AC or 20 volts AC range... crank the engine if the distributor is in.. spin the shaft if it is out... for the system to work. you need to see over 1 volt AC.

if the pick up coil passes it's resistance test... the gap is correct ,,, replace the reluctor.

the reluctor keeps a small amount of magnetic field.. so as it passes the pick up coil AC voltage is created to trigger the ignition module

it takes about 0.6 volts AC to turn the power transistor on. if the pick up coil does not create enough voltage... the power transistor will not have enough voltage to turn on.. if its not on.. it cannot switch off discharging the coil primary...

testing the pickup coil takes only a few minutes.. testing the reluctor, a few seconds more...

rusty reluctors don't work well, sand blasted reluctors don't work well... if at all... sometimes they just go bad... this is the only test to be sure... other than sticking a new one in..

I think NAPA has the same ones then cause theres is dark blue

heres an article I found on how to test distributors if its any help to anyone here

got NO spark???

grab your digital volt meter... set it to 2K ohms.. disconnect the 2 wire plug at the distributer. you should have around 800 ohms. give or take.. anywhere between 600 and 1,500 ohms is usually ok.

before you disconnect the volt meter. flip the setting to 2 volts AC or 20 volts AC range... crank the engine if the distributor is in.. spin the shaft if it is out... for the system to work. you need to see over 1 volt AC.

if the pick up coil passes it's resistance test... the gap is correct ,,, replace the reluctor.

the reluctor keeps a small amount of magnetic field.. so as it passes the pick up coil AC voltage is created to trigger the ignition module

it takes about 0.6 volts AC to turn the power transistor on. if the pick up coil does not create enough voltage... the power transistor will not have enough voltage to turn on.. if its not on.. it cannot switch off discharging the coil primary...

testing the pickup coil takes only a few minutes.. testing the reluctor, a few seconds more...

rusty reluctors don't work well, sand blasted reluctors don't work well... if at all... sometimes they just go bad... this is the only test to be sure... other than sticking a new one in..

Very nice information here. Thank You!

-
Back