Bad expierience with Summit Racing!!!!

-
go to www.retailmenot.com and type in advance auto parts in the search.

it will pop up a list of promo codes.

some for $50.00 off $150.00 purchase, some for $50.00 off $200 ,some for $30 off $85 ,some for $10 off $25.

some for 5% off, some for 10% off,some for 15% off and some for 20% off.

I used the 20% off.

to use it you have to go to advanceautoparts.com ,find the part you want....add it to your cart and then on the bottom of the screen there is a box where you type the promo code.

then you can choose to have it shipped to your house or pick up in store free of charge.

I buy alot of parts using this method

if you type in big5 big10 big20 or big30 are the promo codes. and i wanna say its a percentage but it may be a dollar amount. and you may qualify for free shipping if the order is over a certain amount... i got all four ball joints and all 3 brake lins for ~$225 after the discount

Thanks for the tip 2darts.... I want to say the guy namewas dave.... he mumbled it so I don't know for sure and the phone call was so rushed feeling I didn't even remeber to ask befor it ended. I do know the round about time and date it took place though so this may work. If that guy talks to anyone elae the way he did with me than he is costing summit money.

I have personally never had a bad experience with them. That being said there are always a few bad Customer service people at any big part distributors. Never tried one of their carbs before but this is why I stick with Holleys or older AFBs

I have never had a problem with Summit. I rate them at the top. Reps have always been friendly & profesional. Shipping is on time and boxed perfectly.

Dont take this the wrong way,just going to play devils advocate here:
I have heard pretty good things about their new carbs.
Is there a possibility of operator air here on your part ?
If you saw a cheesy fuel line,why use it ?
Soft plug in the body of the carb.
Did you ever take the time to find out what this plug was for ?
In other words did you dot all yours I's and cross all your T's before you installed these carbs. 2 new carbs that are fubared just doesnt make sense

Sorry johnnydart but there is such a thing as "brand new junk".
Had nothing to do with me.
The first carb leaked fuel because. The brass threaded inlets in the carb were a bad casting and where the two compression surfaces meant the line was not seating properly ( the customer service rep I spoke with last confirmed this aswell when he said it was noted in my account by whoever inspects "damaged goods" , it also had a bad choke on it, the factory installed the plastic cam on the linkage wrong which in turn would not allow the choke spring to unwind and it was getting really hot. This is all straight frim the factory.... nothing to do with me.
The second one leaked from a soft plug just kike I said. Just like a cam soft plug. A small soft plug that is pressed in above each fuel inlet on the body of the carburetor. Bad casting in the carb or bad plug or something..... whatever it was it was a straight from the factory defect..... again ... nothing to do with me.

I'm not saying they are all junk carbs, I may have got 2 jumk ones out of 1000 who knows... like I said earlier, a friend of mine got a 750 summit carb andnloves it and has hadnno problems with it.

You can doubt the fact that I gor 1 bad carb let alone two bad carbs but its the 100% truth and at no fault of my own.

Sent from Android smart phone.

I ordered a Holley 600 from Summit in the early eighties. My first 2 to 4 bbl carb swap. Leaked fuel at inlet. Learned about thread sealants, gaskets and fittings, problem solved. Over the last few years, my patience has been tested by just about everyone I've ordered from. From wrong parts shipped to Parts not made to spec. Takes a lot of patience to work on these old cars.

Hey:
Those summit carbs are made in China stuff. Not surprising you have two bad ones. I bet the bowls were full of casting scrap too. They do work well if you get a good one, but I'll just go with the Street Avenger, thanks.

Here's a writeup on those carbs on a Ford site: I think this dude had to get a replacement, and there were still issues with the second one, but he did get it to work. I know the fuel line wouldn't work in as-shipped condition.

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/induction-articles/482814-summit-carb-review-road-test.html

I would call Summit and talk to someone else. I bet they'll make it right with you if you tell them what is going on in a clear, conversational manner. Probably apologize too.

I've had really good luck with Summit. For a company as big as they are they have very customer friendly policies, and I have generally been treated really well on the phone.

I ordered a set of factory coated hooker headers from them (Darksides). I called them because I thought the coating was flaking off too easily during install. Without me asking, they arranged to send me a new set of headers and a call tag to pick up the already INSTALLED scratched up headers. I was just hoping to talk to someone about it. No attitude, no questions. I still can't believe it. FWIW the second set did a lot better on install, but I'd already had the practice of doing it once, so who knows.

I'm not knocking them, as I've had good luck with them, but I can't believe Mancini (or anyone else would or could do the same thing).

Good luck with it.

Steve

I ain't readin all this hooha...but I gotta question. Why are you screwin around with pussy 600 CFM carburetors in the first place?

I ain't readin all this hooha...but I gotta question. Why are you screwin around with pussy 600 CFM carburetors in the first place?

lol because it is a good match for my setup and I did not want to over carb my engine.

Is your engine stock? Chrysler put 800 CFM carburetors on stock 318s from the factory and they were not over carbureted. I would stab a 3310 Holley on it so quick it wouldn't be funny.

no its not stock.....got a bunch of goodies on it. 600 should do me just fine.

if I went with a larger CFM id end up doing a boatload of tuning it down to get it to work best for my application I think.

I EVENTUALLY plan on finding a nice 340 or 360 to stick on a stand and do some extensive work to it...but that probably won't be for a couple years atleast...when that time comes Ill think of snagging a larger cfm carb.

I don't think so. I bet a holley 750 VC would run very well right outta the box.....but hay it's your motor and your dough. Good luck.

Sounds like something is amiss, I have dealt with Summit since the early 80's and never not once had a problem with anything or one.

For those of you that didnt understand what I meant by "soft plug" when I said it was leaking fuel around the soft plug....here is a picture to show you.

it wasnt a dribble either, it was a steady stream.....there must have been a goudge or bad casting in the hole that the plug was inserted into or the plug was not exactly round in shape or something, all i know it that it was pissing fuel out.

straight from the factory that way (these carbs are said to be "wet tested" so I don't so how they missed something like that)

Attachments

• 215256_1799299894745_1007204303_31680467_5242066_n.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 99
YEah...I was thinkin when these carbs came out they would be really good....not I'm not so sure. This ain't the first thing I've heard bad of them either. Too bad. They couldda been nice but like everything else, they had to outsource it. Dammit all.

YEah...I was thinkin when these carbs came out they would be really good....not I'm not so sure. This ain't the first thing I've heard bad of them either. Too bad. They couldda been nice but like everything else, they had to outsource it. Dammit all.

They may just be good carbs.......I might have just got a couple in a row out of a bad string of parts (maybe the guy in charge of inspection that day was hung over from the weekend? maybe it was friday and he wanted to get out of there? who knows)

I know the ones I got were junk BUT like I said earlier on....my buddy got the 750 Summit carb and he absolutely loves it!said he pulled it out of the box, put it on the engine and it was tuned perfect right from the factory,not a drop of fuel anywhere and throttle response was awesome.

I will say that I love the looks of the carb and that the design looks really nice......I just think the manufacturer needs to crack down on quality control a little more so stuff like that wont happen.

the first junk carb I figured I would give it the benefit of doubt and try another one.....but when that one also turned out to have problems I just didnt want to risk the hassle of POSSIBLY getting another bad one so I decided to just ask for a refund.

but if your thinking of getting one,then by all means thats up to you.....you could get one thats flawless out of the box. you never know.

the price is right on them and if worst comes to worst and you have troubles with it...you could always get a refund.

-
Back