Bad Gas issue....fuel guys....fuel!

-

aengineguy

Reaction score
After not starting for a couple or a few months, it was a sumb**tch, to get the Dart going...crank, crank, sputter, backfire, then when it does catch, afterfire in the exhaust. Pull the plugs and they are black and wet with fuel. I finally have started draining the front bowl of the carb and filling it with fresh fuel and do not have a problem.

Everything else is up to snuff, fuel pressure, timing, lash, mixtures, bleeds, etc., etc.

The car runs and starts great if I do not let it sit too long.

The last post I could find on this issue is about 7 years old. I have not tried to put any fuel stabilizers in it.

Any other words of wisdom??

Especially with the ethanol fuels today, the StaBil fuel stabilizer should have been put in last Fall and idled through the system before it sat up for a few months (especially in your humid Illinois). It'll stink and run rough for a bit after that first seasonal fire-up, but it's proved to be a good investment over the years.

Thanks Leanna, guess I should stop procrastinating and give it a shot. I have never had this problem with other vehicles, but this engine is not like other cars I have had.

-
Back