Bad member alert

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Being "Too busy" is just a line of BS folks always use as an excuse for why they've been lazy about something.

If someone has a loss in the family, that sucks and my condolences go out to them. But if they have my money and can't take a couple minutes to let me know what's going on or refund me, then that is total BS. No one is so busy with anything that they can't take a few minutes out of their day to communicate. It may be low on their list of important things to get to but it's high priority to the person on the other end.

Everyone always has the time to accept the money, cash the MO/check and spend the money. Yet people are just always way too busy to ship it or send a refund back. Funny how that always works.

being "too busy" is just a line of bs folks always use as an excuse for why they've been lazy about something.

If someone has a loss in the family, that sucks and my condolences go out to them. But if they have my money and can't take a couple minutes to let me know what's going on or refund me, then that is total bs. No one is so busy with anything that they can't take a few minutes out of their day to communicate. It may be low on their list of important things to get to but it's high priority to the person on the other end.

Everyone always has the time to accept the money, cash the mo/check and spend the money. Yet people are just always way too busy to ship it or send a refund back. Funny how that always works.
x2

IMO if you are actively selling items on FABO (like any business) then you have an obligation to do so professionally. As we have said communication is key. As the seller, once you have received payment from the buyer, I believe it is your obligation (as seller) to clearly communicate to the buyer that the payment has been received and to provide an approximate ship date of the items. Then once shipped, follow up with the buyer and provide the actual ship date and a tracking number.

As a buyer one should not have to badger a seller an bombard them with multiple e-mails or PM's to confirm the seller has received my order or to find out when/if it has shipped, regardless of how busy you are or because of circumstances....(there are few exceptions to this rule).

If I have received this kind of up front communication from the seller in the beginning i.e. got your payment, expect to ship this out Friday etc....I would tend to be more lenient and not jump to conclusions and wouldn’t worry as much about my order. Because this person has shown integrity and if a major situation came up that affected his previous commitment to a buyer I believe this type of person (with integrity) .... would still have communicated with me and informed me that there would be a delay in my order.

If as a seller you choose not to provide this level of service, then please ship me the items first – then I will send you my check…..

At the end of the day all you have to loose is your integrity. What’s that worth…….hopefully more than any parts you are selling.

A side note, I have purchased a couple of items through members of the FABO forum. All the members I have dealt with have all provided me the level of communication and service as mentioned above….for that I thank you.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program!

Well everybody heard how bad a person I am but a lot of the facts the initial poster left out for his advantage I guess, but I never saw a post saying he received what he was supposed to get! A real standup guy there!

rick sorry to hear about this -- this is the way of the future-- lately members want parts-have paypal issues-- then can't pay --then change there mind --so it makes it extremely difficult to make honest deals anymore
Lawrence

Thanks vdart a lot of facts were left out left out leaving me looking like the bad guy, and I can deal with that but I would have at least expected a post that said he recieved what he was supposed to but whatever!

That's almost always how these things turn out. The "victim" almost never tells the whole story. Except for one or two cases, that's how it's been.

I had a similar thing a few months back. Seller sold me some parts, I paid with a U.S. Postal MO and heard nothing. About 2 weeks after, I pm'ed him. A few days later his son, pm'ed me back to say they got the mo, his dad, who I was buying from had had a heart attack and was out of action for a while, but the son would try to find out what he could from him and get my stuff sent. 3 months later, I still have not received anything, so I started digging and find a phone # and call and leave a message with his daughter. The next day I get a call from his brother and he say's that the seller had a severe stroke after the heart attach and he had no idea what or where the stuff that he found was suppose to go. He made good and I got my stuff the next week. Was I pissed for having to wait, No. Things happen in life and I completely understand. It's just car stuff. I knew he was a older gentleman, and his family comes first. Now I hate people that make up constant excuses, but I have patience, as I have had to ask people for patience from time to time. I guess if you can't afford to possible lose your money on a person to person deal, then go buy new, from the store and you will not have to wait, unless it's back ordered.

Agreed!

IMO if you are actively selling items on FABO (like any business) then you have an obligation to do so professionally. As we have said communication is key. As the seller, once you have received payment from the buyer, I believe it is your obligation (as seller) to clearly communicate to the buyer that the payment has been received and to provide an approximate ship date of the items. Then once shipped, follow up with the buyer and provide the actual ship date and a tracking number.

As a buyer one should not have to badger a seller an bombard them with multiple e-mails or PM's to confirm the seller has received my order or to find out when/if it has shipped, regardless of how busy you are or because of circumstances....(there are few exceptions to this rule).

If I have received this kind of up front communication from the seller in the beginning i.e. got your payment, expect to ship this out Friday etc....I would tend to be more lenient and not jump to conclusions and wouldn’t worry as much about my order. Because this person has shown integrity and if a major situation came up that affected his previous commitment to a buyer I believe this type of person (with integrity) .... would still have communicated with me and informed me that there would be a delay in my order.

Exactly as it should be, and that's exactly how I handle my items sold.

The problem comes about when someone has an issue and relays that to the buyer, then proceeds to take a month to ship, and ignore PM's from the buyer even when logging in.

If you have the time to log in, you have the time to send a quick PM to the buyer with an explanation.

I have a couple of computers in my house that I leave on 24/7. Most of the time that I'm logged onto FABO I'm actually nowhere near the computers. If I'm working in my garage chances are that I look like I'm sitting in front of it. Even when my computers go into hibernation mode they sometimes start up on their own or will when someone else gets on them. That doesn't mean that I'm actually present online, - only that my computer is.

I guess I'd like to hear feedback from members that dealt with rick hughes before forming an opinion on what type of person he is. I'm sure that I'm not the only member here that looked into information on him after the initial post. I didn't see any warning flags.

It appeared as though he was willing to use
his own name as a username. A lot of members prefer a certain amount of anonymity. I doubted that a scammer would want his real name made public.

He's been a member since January 2009. I usually assume that someone that has had a long term association with this site are not here to scam folks.

I saw that he had several threads with items for sale that were put up within the past few months. They all looked legitimate. - Much like a guy would post if he were doing some garage cleaning and there wasn't a 'pie in the sky' list of items that would be unusual (such as cheap 426 hemi parts).

Some of the items he had for sale were listed as 'pick up only'. This, to me made it seem as though he was real too.

When it FINALLY was revealed that he HAD communicated with the buyer and spoke of his uncle passing as cause for delays I felt it was an understandable legitimate reason.

The purchaser stated that the seller would have his wife send off the parts. I interpreted that as further proof that the seller had a lot on his plate and needed a hand as he dealt with family concerns. If she was not adept at how to handle things it wouldn't have been taken care of quickly.

I looked at the time frame that he'd been posting his FOR SALE ads. I noticed that he stopped posting new ads at the time that he'd claimed his uncle passed away. This was what I would have expected if he was legit.

When my Mother passed away I was appointed as one of the executors of her estate. If I hadn't focused all of my attention on the legal matters at that time my siblings would have gone ballistic on me. - All of that was heaped onto my plate along with the grieving process. It became a full time job between meetings with the funeral home, attorneys, bank officials, relatives, real estate appraisers, real estate salesmen, auctioneers, insurance companies, debtors, etc... It took months to sort out personal belongings and was difficult to maintain unity with everyone.

No, I don't know for certain why it took the seller a long time to complete his end of the transaction. But I think that it's pretty callous to say that his delays were inexcusable no matter what his situation. I would have thought that this was the type of site where you could see more people offering a fellow Mopar enthusiast empathy for their loss.

Everything you said here, EVERYTHING, would lead me to believe that someone (not implying Rick) serious enough to make a career out of scamming people on Forums, any Forum, would need to do to convince someone that he was legit. Seriously, this is how crooks get so good at stealing. Look at how identify theft has become a problem. They ALL learn the trade and apply it with precision.

Think about it guys, a lot of times we send money to people we don't know anything about and trust that they will be honest enough to send back our items. It's a risk and we accept that risk when we buy online.

We will never know, NEVER, all the ins and outs of this situation to know the intent. Thankfully, it worked out.

Guys I am not looking for sympathy here If people don't want to buy off of me so be it! I would just have thought that the person who was supposedly ripped off would not have left out facts and would have at least posted that he recieved exactly what he bought! I don't know many scammers that can live off of $160 because it cost me $40 to ship it! Lesso here if you don't think I am legit don't buy off me! You have your own opinions!

Well everybody heard how bad a person I am but a lot of the facts the initial poster left out for his advantage I guess, but I never saw a post saying he received what he was supposed to get! A real standup guy there!

I checked it. It arrived 2/23/2015 at 8:35 am. Go check for yourself to confirm when you ship something.

Good it worked out for everyone. Your credibility took a hit but with good communication and selling in the future, it will be resolved.

The ONLY thing I can say about this situation is whether you are buying or selling anything, make sure you get a tracking #. I may cost you a couple of dollars more but you can tell when it ships, where it usually is depending on the carrier and always when it arrives. Do not cut corners.

Wasn't asking anyone to check to see if he got it! Thought he would be man enough to post it himself since he made me out to be a $200 thief! Just figured he might man up!

The ONLY thing I can say about this situation is whether you are buying or selling anything, make sure you get a tracking #. I may cost you a couple of dollars more but you can tell when it ships, where it usually is depending on the carrier and always when it arrives. Do not cut corners.

Yes, I also learned this whole process with money orders with the USPS. I will only buy money orders from USPS based on this if I don't use PayPal first.

Wasn't asking anyone to check to see if he got it! Thought he would be man elf to post it himself since he made me out to be a $200 thief! Just figured he might man up!

Your righted the situation. Thieves steal, you didn't. Good luck in the future, hopefully, you learned a little also. Just communicate more, over communicate if you can. More if better.

BAM! I'm done here.

We the jury know these facts to be true:
1) This thread started on 2/14
2) Parts were shipped on 2/15
3) Parts were received on 2/23

What we don't know is what happened between the day of purchase and 2/14.

Wasn't asking anyone to check to see if he got it! Thought he would be man enough to post it himself since he made me out to be a $200 thief! Just figured he might man up!

Agreed!! Communication goes both ways, you can't complain about a lack of communication, then wait 5 days after you receive the item before you communicate back that it has arrived! With still no communication, the buyers integrity is now in question!! Why not chime in on your own thread for an update?? Maybe a death in the family??? Just Sayin!!

He has never posted anything about receiving the item! Just a bunch of drama over a damned old part!

its hard for ppl to sell stuff sometimes. ... we as sellers don't know who we are deleing with as well .... case in point ... sold some parts to a guy here ... got messed up in shipping (my falt) and he was upset. ... so i had new parts drop-shiped to him new from clasic ind. to replace the bad ones. im thinking all is well ... i was wrong..... the guy wanted to keep the parts and get all of his money back .... sorry that ain't going to happen. long story short ... i spent a 100 bucks more than i got for the parts i sold trying to make him happy .... but im still the bad guy. ... he did offer to send back the busted ones (at my exspence) but i told him to keep the busted ones ..... i was dun spending money on this guy .... if that makes me an asshole well then so be it. buyers can scam ppl as well ..... jmo

You can thank Ebay for a lot of this. Their system puts their time expectations on deals even outside Ebay. Sometimes those expectations are not realistic when life gets in the way. Not everybody sells or buys from Ebay. I remember a time long before Ebay and Craigslist when you picked up a magazine that had parts ads in the back. Or a National Dragster. Or a local Penny Pincher or Bulletin Board. We didn't have all this "instant gratification" we have now.

This was a private sale not governed by any type of rules or regulations. Sure, I agree communication should have been made. Now it looks like the buyer has not communicated that he got the parts. What about that? Two wrongs don't make a right. He should have done that. He didn't. He should have disclosed all of the information up front to us in this thread. He didn't.

To me, the buyer's credibility took a hit too. In the end, he paid for something and got it an didn't even have the decency to post up and tell about it. He sure wanted to let the site know what a "bad guy" he dealt with, but didn't want to bother about posting that is has been resolved. I wonder if life got in the way for him? Happens to the best of us.

You can thank Ebay for a lot of this. Their system puts their time expectations on deals even outside Ebay. Sometimes those expectations are not realistic when life gets in the way. Not everybody sells or buys from Ebay. I remember a time long before Ebay and Craigslist when you picked up a magazine that had parts ads in the back. Or a National Dragster. Or a local Penny Pincher or Bulletin Board. We didn't have all this "instant gratification" we have now.

This was a private sale not governed by any type of rules or regulations. Sure, I agree communication should have been made. Now it looks like the buyer has not communicated that he got the parts. What about that? Two wrongs don't make a right. He should have done that. He didn't. He should have disclosed all of the information up front to us in this thread. He didn't.

To me, the buyer's credibility took a hit too. In the end, he paid for something and got it an didn't even have the decency to post up and tell about it. He sure wanted to let the site know what a "bad guy" he dealt with, but didn't want to bother about posting that is has been resolved. I wonder if life got in the way for him? Happens to the best of us.

While I have nothing against the buyer or the seller, RRR is right. Once you post an allegation against someone you create an impression about them that you are sharing with others. There is an obligation to tell a complete story if truth and honesty are important to you. And failing to disclose information regarding the arrival of those parts on this thread does jeopardize the credibility of the buyer.

I've sent parts to members before receiving payment after I got a 'feel' of how much trust I could put in them. I've cut people slack if they were in a bind. I've sent parts out to guys for way below value and sometimes just for the cost of shipping. Would I ***** if someone ripped me off? Hell yes! But I'd feel compelled to tell the COMPLETE story if I started a thread such as this.

Maybe I am living in a fantasy world but I figure that both the buyer and the seller are probably OK guys. Life does sometimes get in the way and sometimes people do get impatient.

Just my 2 cents here:
1) Both parties have received what they set out to do....money changed hands, parts were shipped and received. Done deal. This should never have gone to the level it did. There is a user feedback tab that allows rating a seller or buyer plus an opportunity to leave your own 2 cents on their profile page...which does a lot more good for prospective buyers or sellers in the future. This thread should never have turned out to be a bash session for either party. It's unprofessional and has no place here. Leave feedback where it does the best good...in the feedback section.
2) The OP should not have had to worry whether he was going to receive his parts. Good communication would solve this issue.
3) Likewise, the seller should not have had to come here to defend his honor and position. In the end, he came through.
4) Remember; for some odd reason, it's on the buyer to fork over his/her hard-earned cash...on faith alone... and hope for an honest transaction. How many times have you seen it demanded of a seller to ship the part so it can be checked out first...and THEN you'll send the money? Never. Therefore, the seller holds ALL the cards for several days., at least. This puts the onus on HIM to make make damn sure the part gets shipped...PRONTO!...and open lines of communication if it can't be for some reason. Think about it from a buyer's perspective for a moment.
5) I've sold a lot of parts in the past (motorcycle-related) and I tended to think of myself as 'in the parts business' for a short time,until the parts were gone, anyway. You have to take that mindset....that of a 'business'...not a guy liquidating an unused spare part. If you want a good rep you have to EARN it by good behavior, great communication, copious photos, fast, insured shipping with tracking numbers provided to the buyer. You are morally honor-bound to provide this type of service to a buyer. If not, you won't find anybody wanting to buy from you...and for good reason.
6) Last but not least...People! For cryin' out loud...use PayPal or a USPS Money Order where you have SOME recourse if you encounter a scammer! Sending funds Western Union is just plain stupid, as is sending cash or any other type of unsecured money order!
Use your head! If the seller won't leave you an 'out', there's usually good reason. NO part is worth getting screwed out of your hard-earned cash...no matter HOW good of a deal you think it is!
Finally, if you think you've been had, contact a forum moderator, leave feedback, but don't start a 'trash the dude' thread. It serves no purpose. We have two guys here, both who have done their respective duties in one way or another, who will probably never do biz with each other again. But now we have those same two guys who probably won't be able to do biz with most of the folks who read this thread....depending on whose side they are on.
Stupid, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back