bad orange ignition box or distributor??

-

737jetdr

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I've got a hesitation stumbling problem with my 360 above 2000 rpms. I've checked for vacuum leaks,rebuilt my carb,replaced my carb, distributor cap/rotor new wires and plugs. Replaced fuel filter & fuel pump. Timing set at 12 btdc with advanced plugged, 16 btdc with advanced hooked up. Compression checked and all between 120-110. Guess I am down to my distributor or ignition box. Not sure how these orange boxes act when they start to go bad. This is a new problem that has crept up recently. engine idles like a dream. driving me crazy.Looking for some input. Thanks in advance.

I doubt it's the dist. pickup at high RPM. Seems to me they give trouble typically at start/ idle.

Did you check the .008" gap at the reluctor/ pickup?

You can take your multimeter, and on low AC volts, hooked to the disconnected dist. pickup, you should get 1 volt AC when cranking

What is the voltage at the dark blue with key in "run" engine off?

You checked coil/ plug wires for continuity?

Last, sounds like you are running the vacuum at manifold vacuum,, generally you want what's called "timed" or "ported" vacuum, which means off a fitting on the carb for that purpose, which will have NO vacuum advance at idle.

-
Back