Bad shock or bad leaf spring

-

gdizzle

Reaction score
66 dart, L6 270 4 door. I notice that the rear end is not sitting level. The left side is lower. I checked distance from the lowest part of the rear fender lip and it is about 1.5 inches lower on the left rear side. When I get under there and push up, I notice very little resistance in either direction with the shock.

How do I know if the shock is bad, or if the leaf spring is losing some tension?.

The shocks look pretty old, but not sure if they are responsible for keeping the car level, or just keeping the ride smooth.

thoughts? go easy on me, I am NewB and get most of my information from YouTube.

Shocks only dampen movements. Springs support the car.

Check for broken leafs in the springpack or an obvious flatter or reversed curve in the springs.
Something else to consider, someone could have screwed around with the front torsion bar adjusters and made the entire car sit crooked.

Shocks only dampen movements. Springs support the car.

x2.

Also check the mounting points for the leaf spring in the front and rear. I had a car start sagging less than a year after installing new springs and it turned out the frame where the front spring mounts was rotted and weak...

If that checks good, chances are, it's the spring...

Gas charged shocks can definitely alter ride height.
(if one looses it's charge then that side will be lower than the other.)

Not saying that is the problem, just clearing that up since you asked.
Otherwise, follow the above suggestions.

Like the others have said. Shocks are designed to dampen the ride not alter the ride height. But some cases gas charged shocks can alter a ride height slightly. The easiest and cheapest way to find out is remove the shocks and push up and down on the suspension a few times and re measure. If it remains the same you have springs that has lost tension.

Thanks
James

-
Back