Bad Threads in Upper Control Arm

-

charliec

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm using a '73 Duster front suspension with disc brakes in my '68 Dart. The driver side UCA ball joint hole is partially stipped. The ball joint threads in fairly smoothly, but it won't tighten up at the end of the insertion. The manual calls for 105 Ft-Lb, so obviously it's supposed to be pretty snug. Question: Since it threads all the way in but just won't fully tighten, would it be acceptable to fix it in place with a couple of short weld beads? I wouldn't try to run a long bead all the way around; just enough to fix it in place and keep it from backing out. If I ever need to change the BJ, I could just hit the beads with a grinder and remove them.

Yes sir. Perfectly acceptable. I usually buzz four evenly spaced welds on. I go "a little" more than spot welds. Like maybe three or four rounds each.

Appreciate ya'
Done.
20220706_151131.jpg

I'm using a '73 Duster front suspension with disc brakes in my '68 Dart. The driver side UCA ball joint hole is partially stipped. The ball joint threads in fairly smoothly, but it won't tighten up at the end of the insertion. The manual calls for 105 Ft-Lb, so obviously it's supposed to be pretty snug. Question: Since it threads all the way in but just won't fully tighten, would it be acceptable to fix it in place with a couple of short weld beads? I wouldn't try to run a long bead all the way around; just enough to fix it in place and keep it from backing out. If I ever need to change the BJ, I could just hit the beads with a grinder and remove them.
DIFFERANT CONTROL ARM OR BALL JOINT . GO U HAVE THE RIGHT SCOKET FOR YJR JOB

Same problem here. I just ordered new uppers with joints $277 total from JEGS.

-
Back