Badass Steam Locomotive Video

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
The Union Pacific 4014 Big Boy is the largest operational steam locomotive in the world. Earlier this year, a modern diesel pulling a train near Blair, Nebraska, got stuck trying to get up a grade. The 4014 was close by so the UP switched it over to push the modern train up the grade. Super cool video.

Railfanning and Mopars go together like peanut butter and jelly

Just watched a video how steam engines operate, they used the Big Boy as the example. They said it would take four (4) modern engines to pull what one Big Boy could pull, that's impressive!

I got to see the 4014 twice when it was up in my neck of the woods.

July 2019 with my dad in St. Paul's Union Depot. He was a kid in a candy store that day, explaining what everything did.

IMG_20190718_141400.jpg

And in August in Boone Iowa

IMG_20190802_110351.jpg

I'm super happy I got to see it with my dad, he's the one who got me into trains. Wouldn't have been the same by myself.

Last edited:
I remember when that was is the local news this summer, would have liked to see that. It had come to Omaha to be on display right around the World Series time. They have a UP railroad museum right across from the Henry D
The Union Pacific 4014 Big Boy is the largest operational steam locomotive in the world. Earlier this year, a modern diesel pulling a train near Blair, Nebraska, got stuck trying to get up a grade. The 4014 was close by so the UP switched it over to push the modern train up the grade. Super cool video.

oorley Zoo

If you've never been close to an operating steam loco- it's definitely an experience.

I was up close and personal with AFT 1/ Reading 2101 on the 1976 American Freedom Train.

Remember it like it was 2 weeks ago.

I caught up with the 2101 38 years later at the B&O museum, after it had been damaged by a fire and subsequently "cosmetically" restored as AFT 1

2102 is now operational.

I may have to make some travel plans.

I wonder how many people can say they've ridden behind two sequentially numbered steam engines of the same class.

If there's a Delorean with railwheels at the front of that stack, Imma cream my jeans.

-
Back