balance problem need flywheel advice

-

screeminDemon

Reaction score
I've pretty much completed my 360 build, gettin ready to drop it in my slant six demon, and adding 4speed. Much thanks to some of the guys that have helped me along the way. Next roadblock:

I've got a 360 harmonic balancer on the front but I think I have a 318 flywheel. I'm gonna post a picture. My problem is my machine shop resurfaced it for me but told me it doesn't need balancing. I dont see any evidence of balancing on it.

I called 6 different machine shops and only 1 said could balance my flywheel, but only to within 80 to 90 percent (and for $150). I guess I should have had the engine balanced before I assembled. Is it possible to get locations of where to drill (partial) holes and how deep to get it "close" to balanced. In other words do it myself. I've heard 360 engines were never balanced that good straight from the factory anyways. Or am I crazy?

Attachments

• flywheel 001.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 177
  • flywheel 004.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 139
This is for non-magnum 360's, 71-93ish IIRC

360castbalance.jpg

Yep, I had a shop do it and it turned out great. It's 10 years later and about 30K on the motor and it still running great. Haven't even had to change the clutch yet. Thanks again!

I’ve done this before and had problems. Make sure the new clutch disk clears the inside cutaway. I think my flywheel may have been a 273 one. Didn’t know till I took it out on the street. Tore it back apart and it wore the inner rivets on the disk down. Threw away the disk and the flywheel and bought a Hayes Sfi flywheel.

-
Back