Balanced 360 Motor w/4-speed?

-

cactuscarl

Reaction score
I'm buying a 360 motor from a friend and he tells me the motor was balanced with his torque converter. (He still has the 904 and converter).

Would I be asking for trouble if I just slap on a Mopar Perf. externally balanced fly wheel for my 4-speed? Should I get things rebalanced?

What should I consider?

Thanks,
Jeff

Check to see if his converter just has the factory weights on it, or if there was any other non factory balance weight added or removed. If it just has the factory weights you should be fine with the correct flywheel for the LA 360 ( I am assuming it is not a magnum 360). Is this a street car or a race car? What rpms do you plan on spinning?

There is a less expensive way to do the flywheel if you already own a neutrally balanced one.

Not a magnum motor.
Street use, occasional strip.
Under 6000 RPM

What info do you have on the "less expensive way" ?

Thanks,
Jeff

The less expensive way is to get a Mopar Chassis book and use the template to balance your neutral flywheel that you already have (or can buy really cheap).

I haven't seen it myself, but I was told it is drilled for 4spd. I know they guy really well so I'm not worried about this.

Thanks for the information!

The chassis manual has a diagram of how to drill balance holes in the flywheel and works out well. This would be good for your application

-
Back