balanced??

-

titanium

Reaction score
New to these mopar 340's so it might be a stupid question but have to ask.
I have a 340 with a build date of 9-24-71. Would this be internally or externally balanced?? I think it is a forged crank motor. Read some where that they switched over to a cast crank it 72(the motor came out of a 72 challenger) and where externally balanced??. Going to order a convertor for it.
Thanks

Cast crank 340's had weight welded on the converter, but most obvious was the balancer/damper which would have a raised ring with counterweight having "For Cast Crank 340 Only", or something similar.

If cast, the crank itself would have a thin parting line while forged has a 1/4"+ wide line.

Cart crank is on the left. The other may be forged, but has obviously been smoothed out/polished overall.

Chances are that yours is forged because forged cranks were used into '72.

Attachments

• cast crank.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 288
My 72 Demon has an orignal forged crank. My bro-in-law also has 2 72 340's & they both have forged cranks! I think most 72's had forged.

My 2-72 340 has a cast crank.

Looked at the balancer and it does not have any words as to " 340 cast crank only" on it. Just wanted to make sure of what it is because I ordered a convertor for it. Do the cast crank motors need a different convertor as the forged motors?

Yes,
Forged crank is neutral, cast is different.
Pull the pan and see what crank is in to be sure.
Any balancer will bolt to the crank.
71 should be neutral, but after 40 years who knows.

I have seen virgin 72 model 340s in both forged and cast cranks. Most of the forged ive seen came out of 4 speed cars. Cast externally and forged internally balanced.

early 72s had forged cranks later 72 build date 340s had cast cranks

-
Back