70b7duster

Reaction score
Anyone ever see this before?

Attachments

• IMG_20150517_174306704.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_20150517_174320459_HDR.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 366
Sure. I lost the outer ring off of an OEM balancer many, many years ago. Borrowed one off of a friend's tow car to finish the race.

What brand is that? SFI or does that say "STREET"?

Less than 2k miles on it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-05-17-18-46-00.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 358
Couldn't hurt to ask about a warranty and exchanging it for a different brand.

I've been using Pioneer SFI balancers for years.

Less than 2k miles on it.

You bought a cheap piece of **** and are baffled as to why it failed ?
I can name a few that don't have that problem , and maybe you now understand where that extra 200.00 goes.
Even with gaskets , quality counts for something.
Better make sure you didn't rash some bearings too.

I can name a few that don't have that problem , and maybe you now understand where that extra 200.00 goes.

This^^^^^^^ x1000.

I bought the motor already complete. Hoped it would last long enough for me to get the replacement built. But obviously it didn't.

When you consider it's a Pro Race OEM replacement balancer then, it's not "cheap" is it?
If it failed from daily driving , then it's a POS. If it's been getting some revs then you run the risk of it failing. Sometimes the bonding process has a hickup. Made in Australia , so I guess it could just be a POS....

When you consider it's a Pro Race OEM replacement balancer then, it's not "cheap" is it?
If it failed from daily driving , then it's a POS. If it's been getting some revs then you run the risk of it failing. Sometimes the bonding process has a hickup. Made in Australia , so I guess it could just be a POS....

111.00 for a balancer is cheap.
The piece of **** part it earned all by itself.
Stock balancers fared much better for years.......but they aren't 111.00 new either.
Whether it's the bonding or the design or the construction , the end result is no bueno.
When looking for a bargain , I stick to things like free air for the tires.
Vital engine parts get a little more attention.
And I feel bad for the O.P. , as it wasn't his doing that made this mess.
Hopefully , a decent balancer is all it needs.

The Innovators West pieces were very visible in the most recent engine masters competition.
Whether it was contingency cash driving this or not , they have to be a decent part.
I went with an ATI with big Chev bolt pattern for the pulleys on my W-9 motor to open up my choices re; crank trigger , alternator drive etc.
I have had nothing but good experiences with their stuff.

Balancers to me are just as important a piece as converters, yet both those items people skimp on as much as possible.

111.00 for a balancer is cheap.

Well you can get Dorman ones for $80 , and I'd say even cheaper ones if you looked around ,so as I said $111 is not cheap for an OEM replacement balancer, is it?
I guess no one bothers to drill and pin the lower end market balancers these days, a lost art I guess.

For that money , you are so close to an ATI that you may as well spend the extra few bucks.
I have heard that the Pioneer SFI pieces are decent and I think they are the same or close to the Pro Race part.
But there is the best and there is the rest.

To late, bought it a year ago with my new eng build. Its not the street one its the race one........Fingers crossed.

I've talked to a few companies that make balancers and the one thing they all had in common was that they all get warranty claims for spun balancers,

Hopefully the OP contacts the manufacturer.... I'd like to hear their take on it. Food for thought..... is this a cause? Or an effect.....

I'm running a Pioneer balancer on my 408. So far it's been great. My only complaint is that the laser etching for the timing marks was a little hard to see. A $2.00 Summit timing tape cured that.

Ted

I've talked to a few companies that make balancers and the one thing they all had in common was that they all get warranty claims for spun balancers,

ATI ? Fluidamper ? Innovations West ?
That's what I thought.

My only complaint is that the laser etching for the timing marks was a little hard to see. A $2.00 Summit timing tape cured that.

Ted

I use white out or silver or white touch up paint to highlight the timing marks on the damper and timing cover that I need to time it. They are easier to see with the timing light...

ATI ? Fluidamper ? Innovations West ?
That's what I thought.

Personally, I use ATI and Romac balancers , but I do understand that not everyone can justify/ afford them, and I don't carry on like a wanker with a "W9" just because I use them.
And your trying to tell me that all those companies have never had a comeback in the whole time they have been in business? Ha, that's a laugh !!
Wasn't Fluidamper responsible for a bunch of broken crank snouts??
Yeah, That's what I thought....

Personally, I use ATI and Romac balancers , but I do understand that not everyone can justify/ afford them, and I don't carry on like a wanker with a "W9" just because I use them.
And your trying to tell me that all those companies have never had a comeback in the whole time they have been in business? Ha, that's a laugh !!
Wasn't Fluidamper responsible for a bunch of broken crank snouts??
Yeah, That's what I thought....

A Fluidamper never broke a crank snout. Incompetent machining did. They require .001 press and they were not being honed to fit. Also, I've seen some seriously stupid ways of installing a damper.

I would say publically ONE company was responsible for all the damper lies out there. I refused to buy from them in 1990. Still do.

If ANYONE thinks a rubber band damper works is fooling themselves. Rubber band dampers (regardless of brand name) have a very narrow frequency range. The ASSCAR guys have engineers who change elastomers for every condition. Even bobweight affects frequency (unless you call the brand "a" company....they will lie and tell you bobweight makes no difference) so how do they sell the same part number to 99% of the customers?

Well there's a problem. I hone my balancers as I've said here and advised before, but the bulk of everyday hot car owners don't, they just hammer them on, BUT, they don't brake a snout off from doing that. So if you look at it from that perspective, then you can see why they have been blamed for the snout failures, regardless if it's their fault or not.
As far as "balancer science" goes, well until the balancers I use start causing problems with my engines, I'm not concerned about it.
So who's they who can't be named???

-
Back