Balancer Interchange

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
I need to fix/replace my Harmonic Balancer so I have occasionally been watching on eBay. Is there a difference between years on the harmonic balancer? I have a 1965 barracuda but I found this one on eBay.Will it work?

The one listed in your link isn't correct for your engine. The one you need is the '61-6 version.....either a 170 or 225. The later ones will fit on the crank but the timing mark is in a different spot.

I need to fix/replace my Harmonic Balancer so I have occasionally been watching on eBay. Is there a difference between years on the harmonic balancer? I have a 1965 barracuda but I found this one on eBay.Will it work?

B and B Auto Parts Waco TX 1-866-477-3969 shows the one you need for $35.00.

Penrose Auto Salvage Penrose CO 1-800-610-8074 also shows the one you need for $25.00.

They would be plus freight.

Oh my g-d thank you guys. cudamark What would you let one go for? Mine is starting to wobble so I was going to send it to damperdudes.net and let them rebuild it but I am good with a used one. I will even send you mine if ya want. :)

Thank you cudmark. I received it today and it looks good. Two questions. First can/should I paint it? Next what is the easiest way to remove and reinstall the balancer?

It looks like there is one bolt holding it in the center but how do I pull it? Do I need a special tool? Also how do I press it back on? I see it is keyed so lining it up should be easy.

Sure, clean it and hit it with some paint. Try to keep the paint out of the center hole and off the seal surface. It takes a good 3 leg puller to remove the old one. Use the pulley holes to attach the puller. You may have to round up some long bolts to do the job if your puller set doesn't have them. If your engine has a center bolt, that's a rarity.....most don't have one (or need one). If you have an inpact gun, that's the easiest way to pull it but you can use a breaker bar and hammer too. If you have a small block balancer bolt, you can use that to install the balancer by adding washers in stages until it's seated against the crank gear. Hammering it on is another way but I don't like it as I've seen the hub crack if you don't get the keyway aligned just right. Speaking of which, clean the slot real good and make sure there are no burrs or nicks in it or on the woodruff key. Use a block of wood on the balancer hub if you must hammer it.

-
Back